This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kdesktop console wanted on XP running cygwin/X

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blupton
Registered Member
OS
Really simple, I hope. I can fire up kdesktop from my pclinuxos system, from putty and xterm, but I don't get all the desktop icons, toolbars and neat stuff I get directly logged in to the console on the netbook.

How do I get the full desktop everything from my xp notebook running cygwin/X.

I am looking for the full console remotely. Thanks! Bradshaw
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Assuming you have the X server running locally, you need to enable Putty to "Enable X Forwarding" and specify the display of the locally running X server ( available by hovering over its tray icon )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blupton
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, From the putty window I can bring up xterm, xemacs, kdesktop, ooffice, all the individual pieces. But I don't get the full desktop I get if I logon as myself or root from the actual notebook running the system.

Is there a way to actually get the logon banner on my cygwin/x session? And get the same desktop as I get from logging on to the actual system? I don't care about actually logging on, though that would be fine. I am just trying to get all the same objects on my kdesktop. I am missing some toolbars and icons by just invoking kdesktop from the putty interface.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
A full login session would require using XDMCP, and then your desktop would be contained within a single window.

Have you also run "kicker" and "minicli" since they are responsible for the taskbar, etc.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blupton
Registered Member
OS
Wow, thanks! "kicker" was what I was looking for. Much appreciation!!