This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Distro for 16 GB USB Drive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kamal
Registered Member

KDE Distro for 16 GB USB Drive

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:49 am
I was looking around to see if there is a special distro out there that can be used fully from a USB Drive(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220253).

I'm not looking for something that runs like a Live CD, in fact I would like something that I can install directly to the USB Drive and just plug into computers to get to work. With Live CD's you lose base functionality that I would like.

I dont know if this is even possible with Linux so I have my fingers crossed.
BelaLugosi
Alumni
OS

Re: KDE Distro for 16 GB USB Drive

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:12 am
Have a look at sidux, it's installer has an option, to install sidux on a USB-drive.

i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers (bash.org)
Kamal
Registered Member

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 pm
That does seem interesting, I looked on the distros website and it doesn't really mention anything that is specific to running Linux off USB.

I want something that will function just like a KDE Linux Distro, except it will be portable and able to run on many different machines when I move around.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 am
Linux systems usually auto detect what hardware is present and load the needed drivers.
Some things with more static configurations, such as sound cards, etc. may have issues with distributions not intended to be portable.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Kamal
Registered Member

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:14 pm
@bcooksley that sounds great, practically exactly what i'm looking for. Its good to know that linux auto-configures and loads the required drivers.

Now do you know any specific distros that are USB Drive oriented?

Also I forgot to mention that I am going to initially be using this as a development platform for C, I am taking a class at my University for C and the instructor is requiring us to use Linux as the Operating System.

I am a novice when it comes to Linux thats why I asked if anything that fits my specifications exists.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm
Unfortunately I don't know any specific distros, but Mandriva does have a hardware USB device they sell preloaded with Mandriva, it might be possible to download the customised image.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
tvucic
Registered Member
OS
Shining Arcanine
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 am
Have you considered trying Gentoo Linux? It might be a good fit for this.
caroljames
Registered Member

Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:06 pm
You can try Avocent AMIQ-USB (https://www.allhdd.com/avocent-amiq-usb-cable/)