This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

install KDE 4.x by compiling from source

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ausfeldj
Registered Member
New convert to FreeBSD, and since I have not been in dedicated command mode for the better part of 10 years I decided to try out a user interface. KDE being the obvious and best choice.

I went to /usr/ports/x11/kde4/ and ran a make install clean command around saturday night. The installation as of this morning is still running. About how long should this take?

The installation is on my Dell Inspiron 8000. Granted only a P3 with a ram upgrade but will this package exceed the capabilities of my older machine?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which KDE modules are you compiling?

Qt takes about 2 1/2 hours on my system, KDE Libs about 1 1/2 hours, KDE Base about the same, with the other modules ( except for KDE Edu and KDE PIM ) taking about 1 hour to complete. KDE Edu and KDE PIM can take 2 hours to complete.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
itsbrad212
Registered Member
OS
Altogether, compiling KDE on Linux From Scratch took around 6 hours on my 2.9 GHz quad-core. Because a Pentium III's highest overclock rate is 1.4 GHz, compiling KDE could take an extremely long time.