This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dolphin and update problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ReD_FlAg
Registered Member
OS

dolphin and update problems

Wed May 05, 2010 5:02 pm
hi im xD (freebsd) user :
i prefer using kde and i like it but im tired from all accidents i had with kde

1st each time i update my kde ...it won't start after rebootin and always a file or a lib is missing last one i think was png.so.5

2nd ..which i need help for it now since i wont update the kde again untill i figure how to avoid its problems

when i start the dolphin file browser and close it window ..the screen become black and i cant see anything but my mouse pointer

3rd when i install programms like kmsn i think and mono i can't find any shortcut for them ..not like firefox cause it's icon appears after installation processes ..

i hope i will found help here

regards for u all

ps . sorry for my bad english xoxo
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Re: dolphin and update problems

Wed May 05, 2010 6:07 pm
Hey there and welcome :)
1st seems to be obsolete as 3rd tells us you have a running KDE installation now.

For the rest, we would need some more information, preferably what KDE version are you running, and maybe even some debug output

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
ReD_FlAg
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm
thank you for your welcome and im proud to be here :)

i reinstalled kde after the fails in the update and i spent a whole day trying to fix the missin lib with no success

the kde version that comes with freebsd release 8.0 is 4.3.1 and can be updated from packages with no problem to 4.3.5 cause it only updates few major KDE files .. updating the whole kde and its dependencies by fetching them from the internet always makes a problem or a missing file ..the first time the kde started without anything just my old friend the mouse pointer .. the next and 3rd time after startx command in freebsd which starts the desktop environment .. it reports that a missing files doesn't exist and another files depend on them as QT ... the last one was png.so.5 .. i reinstalled the png packages ,, and reinstalled kde but the same ,, i had to remove it from the scratch

and now im trying to install konqueror file manager as an alternative ...and i need to know why when i install new programs its icons just wont appear ..each time i install kde version 4.3.1 or 4.3.5 this same problem happens ..and right now i installed mono and i need it for my programming work but i cant find its icon :) ..if u want a specific thing that can help you ..specify for me how to get it plz so i can help u in helping me :)
but away from that i still love kde ..so modern and customizable

again ..thank u for your care
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed May 05, 2010 6:28 pm
Moving this to the right place, as i am not used to BSD, sorry.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
ReD_FlAg
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm
feel free to do the right it's ok
ReD_FlAg
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm
hi again ..this is the last error when i started my kde ..it started and i login ok ...but that's what come when i login " There was an error loading the module About-Page for Konqueror.
The diagnostics is:
Cannot load library /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/konq_aboutpage.so: (Shared object "libjpeg.so.10" not found, required by "libkhtml.so.7") "

i reinstalled all jpeg packages but still missing ..anyway i can use my kde but as u see there's a problem