This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

package management

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mshelby
Registered Member
OS

package management

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:43 pm
Not sure where to post this question so I figured I'd start here...

I'm running Debian/unstable with the latest kde version available from the repositories.

My question is pretty simple. Where is gui package manager for kde?
I saw that "adept" was available, but that was developed and used in kubuntu. I also know that I can use "aptitude" through a terminal, but where is the package manager developed by the kde team? I've heard about "packagekit" and "kpackagekit," but I don't see them as installable programs. Are they 'internal' components of another program in development or has kde just decided not to offer a packagemanager?

Or maybe I've missed something entirely?

Proud to be a user of KDE since version 1.0
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS

Re: package management

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:31 pm
There is kpackage. Which tried to be a universal package manager. In my opinion it does/did not do a very good job at it though.

Now generally speaking both Adept as well as KPackageKit are developed by the KDE commnity. And I think for Debian Adept is currently the application of choice, though it is unmaintained (last I checked anyway).

The problem is that KDE could not really create one package manager UI to deploy with the software collection (KPackage tried that). KPackageKit might be a goood contestent here, since packagekit is meant to be independent of the actual package management system (be it RPM or DEB or something else). But as far as I know there are currently no plans to integrate it into the KDE SC, also it might not yet be ready for that eitherway.

Since the matter of creating one interface for all package mangement systems out there is a bit of a difficult one we do not yet have a properly working distribution independent application. So eventually most distributions have their own respective frontends (on Mandriva you have a mangement center, on openSUSE you have YaST, on Kubuntu you get KpackageKit ...).

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
mshelby
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 pm
Thanks for the reply. I liked kpackage (only available in the 3.x series) and I agree that it was somewhat limited. It is odd that kde does not offer a package manager in the 4.x series but I certainly understand the headache of trying to deliever a quality app for all the different distro needs. I use aptitude almost solely and it is fine. Don't know why I feel the need for a gui product now that I think about it... I just do! Ha, ha!

I have to say that I really do like gnome's ability to have the "new update alert" notifier embedded in the task bar... Kde would do well to offer that. That would actually be an easy plasmoid to write... hmmm......

Proud to be a user of KDE since version 1.0
iria
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm
Piotr Galiszewski is creating Qt-based user interface for aptitude as his Google Summer of Code project.

http://piotr.galiszewski.pl/

KpackageKit piece of s...