This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Which KDE should use?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nnjond
Registered Member
OS

Which KDE should use?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:32 pm
Hi,

# I've installed OpenSuse 11.3 and it's gone black with a frozen cursor, (and keyboard apparently) 3 times in two days. I have had to warm boot and re-install. Could there have been another option?

# OpenSuse 11.3 is shipped with kde 4.4 I don't know if online update installs the latest stable release 4.4.4. How can i find out which? -with a Bash command?

If it doesn't, I'd like to try it. or I understand 4.5.1 is also an option.

Can you advise me please.

Thnks for your time
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: Which KDE should use?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm
To a relative noob (note, this is descriptive and not degrading in any way) I'd recommend Kubuntu. Not only is it a decent KDE implementation on top of an Ubuntu base, but you will find the forum (www.kubuntuforum.net) a most friendly and forgiving place.

My 2cs.

Debian testing
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm
openSUSE with 4.4.4 is the standard distribution and you should have no problems with it. If you do, there are plenty of people on http://forums.opensuse.org/ who will help you.

openSUSE also offers you the option to upgrade to 4.5.1 because the next openSUSE release, 11.4, will be shipped with 4.6. So people who want to try out 4.5 would have no opportunity to try out 4.5 without this option.

But, installing 4.5.1 does require some manual adjustment to the default openSUSE settings and, if you are a newcomer, I would recommend staying with 4.4.4. Because I use openSUSE for my business, I have stayed with 4.4.4 rather than added 4.5.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 pm
Are you up-to-date? Make sure you check "online updates" and that the update repo is enabled. There were some kernel bugs that were causing freezes, but they are fixed for me at least.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm
This has nothing to do with the kernel problems which did not affect me. I tried both the online updates as recommended and the Live-CD and both crashed the entire installation. I don't have the time to solve problems when the recommended routes fail - so I reverted to 4.4.4. Others also had problems with the Live-CD.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.