This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Application sound level

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jeroen De Dauw
Registered Member
OS

Application sound level

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 pm
(I'm not entirely sure this is the right sub-forums to post this in)

I switched to Kubuntu a while back after using Windows 7 since it was released. One feature I find missing is being able to set the sound level of individual applications via a general interface. In Windows 7, if you click the sound icon in the task-bar, and then 'mixer' or something, you get a list off all applications 'making noise', and can manipulate the sound levels loose of anything application specific. Is there a similar feature build in into Kubuntu, or otherwise available for download?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Application sound level

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:21 am
If kmix is built with pulseaudio support it can do this (at least in 4.5), although you have to open the mixer window (it doesn't appear in the system tray applet).

The veromix scripted plasma widget will also provide volume controls for all open applications if you are using pulseaudio, although apparently only for output devices.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
google01103
Manager

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm
TheBlackCat - please confirm this is not available on openSuse 11.3

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 am
KMix with Pulseaudio support does not ship with openSUSE 11.3 it seems.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
google01103
Manager

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:08 am
you might look at Veromix (a Pulseaudio volume control) http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/xA ... ent=133134 it sounds like what you're looking for

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:39 am
bcooksley wrote:KMix with Pulseaudio support does not ship with openSUSE 11.3 it seems.

It is available for KDE:Distro:Factory, I know because I was the one who got it working.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
rickyrogger
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:01 pm
Hey I think you cant set individual applications sound lever in Kubuntu this felicity is only in windows vista and windows 7. and there is so many features in windows 7 only and that is way I like windows 7.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Application sound level  Topic is solved

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 pm
As I said, with pulseaudio this is possible. I am not sure whether kubuntu builds their version of kmix with pulseaudio support, but it is not difficult to do if they wanted to. It is certainly not a feature unique to windows, KDE does support it, but it is up to individual distributions to decide whether they want to make use of the feature or not.

Even if distributions decide not to build kmix with this feature, anyone can install the veromix scripted widget. I have the veromix widget sitting in my system tray right now that lets me control volume levels for individual applications.

-NASA in 1965
Jeroen De Dauw
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 pm
I got the veromix widget and it's exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the support :)
boast
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 pm
will this feature ever be default? Or at least have the option to set "playback streams" when you click the dock for "system try volume control"