This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Make the Application Launcher activate with the windows key

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS
I've right-clicked on the application launcher and was able to set it to not-monstrous like the goofy Windows bloat mega-everything menu (classic = good!) however when I try to change the keyboard shortcut to the windows key on my keyboard it refers to it as a meta key and then refuses to use it.

This topic could easily veer off in any direction for any numerous reasons. I'm not interested in "just use what I use" responses that I've seen to replies in existing threads that seem to be related to this issue. For me XP is a production environment and changing every possible thing I do to interact with an OS to get away from XP is like changing my entire diet so I never for the rest of my life eat any of the food I've ever eaten before.

I'd like to be able to change it to the flag key without Pentagon level instructions if possible and I have (unwillingly) worked in a console/terminal/whatever a few times. I did manage to sudo sh guest additions from VirtualBox after like two hours and simply copying it to the desktop and renaming the files to less then 500 characters so I can get around a little bit. I'm running 64 bit Kubuntu 10.04. Thanks in advance to helpful answers. If I can get Kubuntu to feel more like XP and not battle me at every step then I might be able to eventually migrate...one step at a time though.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
There's one way of doing it that I know of. Unfortunately, quite a few of the default keyboard shortcuts will cease working if you do that.

That being said, this is how you can accomplish it.

Create a textfile in your homedirectory called .xmodmap
Put this into that file and save:
Code: Select all
keycode 133 = F14

Next, create a file called in the directory /home/user/.kde/Autostart. Naturally, replace user with your username. Put this into that file:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap

Make sure it's executable, either by right-clicking on the file (you need to have dolphin set to show hidden files to see the .kde directory) and choosing permissions or doing this from a shell:

chmod u+x /home/user/.kde/Autostart/filename

After logging out and in again, you should be able to set the menu-key to open the start-menu.

However, if your keyboard has the other kind of menu-button as well (the context menu key, pictured as a menu with a pointer usually) I would suggest using that instead. Just replace the keycode 133 in the first step with 135.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS
I know it's a late reply though wanted to thank you...I got it to half work though pressing the key a second time doesn't hide it, still it's a start!
lopium
Registered Member
Just registered to say thank you Kryten2X4B ! :)
Hans
Administrator
OS
JAB Creations wrote:I know it's a late reply though wanted to thank you...I got it to half work though pressing the key a second time doesn't hide it, still it's a start!

Since this topic was revived - this is likely due to a bug in the traditional application launcher (menu style). I believe you can close it with the escape key.

Another solution that allows you to keep your Windows key shortcuts is to use ksuperkey.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
andreasnoha
Registered Member
Kryten2X4B wrote:There's one way of doing it that I know of. Unfortunately, quite a few of the default keyboard shortcuts tv will cease working if you do that.

That being said, this is how you can accomplish it.

Create a textfile in your homedirectory called .xmodmap
Put this into that file and save:
keycode 133 = F14

Next, create a file called in online the directory /home/user/.kde/Autostart. Naturally, replace user with your username. Put this into that file:

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap

Make sure it's executable, either by right-clicking on the file (you need to have dolphin set to show hidden files to see the .kde directory) and choosing permissions or doing this from a shell:

chmod u+x /home/user/.kde/Autostart/filename

After logging out and in again, you should be able to set the menu-key to open the start-menu.

However, if your keyboard has the other kind of menu-button as well (the context menu key, pictured as a menu with a pointer usually) I would suggest using that instead. Just replace the keycode 133 in the first step with 135.

thanks info