This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Need help customizing the "taskbar" in Kubuntu

Tags: kubuntu, virtualbox, plasma, test kubuntu, virtualbox, plasma, test kubuntu, virtualbox, plasma, test
(comma "," separated)
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS
I've been messing around with the "taskbar" in Kubuntu 10.04 and I'm having some trouble because it's not all that intuitive.

So the main issue was after spending two hours trying to install the guest editions in VirtualBox I then was able to view everything at 1366x768 of my 1920x1200 LCD (I think since it's frozen right now) was that the taskbar does not extend the full horizontal length of the screen.

Also when I click on the item at the right end that lets me customize it a lot of the menus freeze up and don't do anything. I have to guess to figure out how to access menus like the "more settings" menu which I get the double horizontal mouse cursor a lot.

I think I've updated Kubuntu with the update manager.

Also when something undocks from the taskbar how do I put it back on to the taskbar?

Oh yeah, what is it called besides the taskbar? I doubt hardcore Linux gurus would use M$ terminology.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Which Kubuntu version and KDE Plasma Desktop version do you use? To find the latter you can run
Code: Select all
kde4-config --version

in a terminal.

So the main issue was after spending two hours trying to install the guest editions in VirtualBox I then was able to view everything at 1366x768 of my 1920x1200 LCD (I think since it's frozen right now) was that the taskbar does not extend the full horizontal length of the screen.

Not sure if I understood it right, but if you want to resize the panel you do like this: (note that your widgets must be unlocked)

Plasma HowTo - Resize Panel

In newer versions there is also a "Maximize Panel" button under More Settings.

Also when I click on the item at the right end that lets me customize it a lot of the menus freeze up and don't do anything. I have to guess to figure out how to access menus like the "more settings" menu which I get the double horizontal mouse cursor a lot.

No idea about this one, can you please give us more information? Are Desktop Effects enabled? Does the menus still work despite beind "frozen"? Which graphic card and driver do you use?

Also when something undocks from the taskbar how do I put it back on to the taskbar?

Plasma HowTo - Drag widget from desktop to panel

Again, your widgets must be unlocked.

Oh yeah, what is it called besides the taskbar? I doubt hardcore Linux gurus would use M$ terminology.

It's the panel, taskbar (or taskmanager) is the widget (usually found in a panel) that shows your windows. See Glossary for more terms.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS
KDE Development Platform 4.4.2

YES! That image is exactly what I want to do. I think the problem is actually with VirtualBox, it's not registering a lot of mouse clicks though strangely it's doing it in a predictable manner so I am open to suggestions for other software I could use to emulate Kubuntu and have started a thread over at their forums about the issue.

Oh! Well I have been clicking on the width button and it wasn't working however when I right clicked on the button and clicked on the "Panel Settings" context menu I was able to drag it back and forth. Thanks! I think it's got to be VirtualBox being retarded.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Ah so you run Kubuntu in VirtualBox, then your weird issues make a little bit more sense. But not much. You could try to disable Desktop Effects if they're enabled (System Settings -> Window Behavior I think) or change to XRender under Advaced tab. But you'll probably get better answer over at their forums; don't hesitate to ask in these forums if you have any other KDE Software-related questions though. :)

I was going to say that you can mark the topic as solved as described here, but it seems like someone has eaten the button.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS
I don't see the button and I did read the documentation that you linked to. That's one of the many reasons why I build my own web software, if it's broken it's not live. If you can mark it as so that's fine.

Time to post another new thread or two! ;-) Thanks for your help!
Hans
Administrator
OS
Button should be back now, topic marked as solved.

mcmarius11
Registered Member
OS
i cant get this worked out :(

i dont know how i cant get minimize all windows widget behind the settings button.

in Kubuntu it was standard but in KDE Neon its not

edit: i had to lock the widgets :D now it works ^-^