This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help finding a KDE distro

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dante19992
Registered Member
OS

Help finding a KDE distro

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 pm
Okay I am a Linux user. I have been for about 6 months. I am looking for a good KDE distribution. I need it to be stable, fast, have good GTK instegration, have KDE as the main edition and not be openSUSE. anyone have a good one? I have been checking distrowatch and doing some massive googleing but nothing I have found is satisfactory. Also I will not be using Pardus. I need a distribution will open repositories.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Re: Help finding a KDE distro

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:48 pm
Mandriva?

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
dante19992
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm
never even considered that one. I will give it a try. thank you. Unfortunately mandriva does not have a 64 bit version for free. :'(
sdbingm
Registered Member
OS

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 am
try Mepis
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 am
There are plenty to try, I recommend Kubuntu but there are plenty to choose from and imo most all are pretty darn nice :D

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:58 am
Hm, seeing you are on mint I'd recommend Kubuntu as well. If you want to get away from the six monthly release cycle to rolling release you may want to give aptosid a shot.

Debian testing
nowardev
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 am
i use kubuntu.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 pm
toad wrote:Hm, seeing you are on mint I'd recommend Kubuntu as well. If you want to get away from the six monthly release cycle to rolling release you may want to give aptosid a shot.

Another rolling release distro that I'd recommend trying is PCLinuxOS. KDE releases and other end-user software are usually out within a couple of days of the new release (except for the KDE *.*.0 releases, for good reason), while the back-end stuff (kernel, libraries) remain pretty stable and only update to known and tested-to-be stable versions.
GTK integration will generally be similar across distros with options such as Oxygen-gtk and QtCurve for unified look-and-feel when using those themes, or the qt-gtk engine which attempts to use or at least emulate your current qt theme for gtk apps (though with a little bit less success).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
daedaluz
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:13 pm
dante19992 wrote:I need it to be stable, fast, have good GTK instegration, have KDE as the main edition and not be openSUSE.

Why can't it be openSUSE? Just curious.

I'd recommend MEPIS, if openSUSE won't do for whatever reason.
totedati
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 am
sabayon linux is also a good choice. is my main distro from five full years now and has a good kde 4.x enebled experience