This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Kubuntu 11.04] kernel panic & Black Screens of Death

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
RRH
Registered Member
OS
I experienced this many times, especially watching flash content on Youtube and Vimeo, but not always. At times, I get black screen without a reason (at least with flash player being not shown).

I took a photos. This one appeared when I was watching Youtube/Vimeo:
http://wstaw.org/m/2011/06/10/20110609_002.jpg
(it’s a kernel panic and I had to reset my PC)

This one appeared without flash player but I could return to the system:
http://wstaw.org/m/2011/06/10/20110609_005.jpg

And this one appeared today when I was browsing the web:
http://wstaw.org/m/2011/06/10/20110610_002.jpg

It’s very annoying. Do you know what’s the reason and how to repair it?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
At least one of those indicates problems servicing a paging request. Please check the memory usage of your system, and verify that your computer's memory is fully functional (memtest86 or similar should help here).

I would also recommend checking the SMART information on your hard disk, as one of those kernel panics involved a pipe used by Plasma, and the other panic involved functions used by ext4 (the file system).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
RRH
Registered Member
OS
I would also recommend checking the SMART information on your hard disk, as one of those kernel panics involved a pipe used by Plasma, and the other panic involved functions used by ext4 (the file system).

What is the SMART information?

One important note: the problems started to appear just right after fresh installation (with re-partitioning) of Kubuntu 11.04.
As for ext4, I used it for my /home. Previously it was ext3. But I did not convert the data stored in /home, but format the /home.

I did not have such problems with my previous systems.
RRH
Registered Member
OS
OK.

Memory: ‘Pass complete, no errors’
SMART: ‘Overall health self-assessment test: PASSED’
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ok, what graphics card (and driver) do you have? Try disabling Desktop Effects to see if it has any effect.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Rather oldish Radeon Xpress 200 with open driver, radeon. I’ve disabled DE as you said and if the problem continues, I’ll let you know.
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Hello again.

Two weeks went by since I turned desktop effects off. Since that time I have seen the black screen once. Do you think that graphic card drivers are broken? What do you suggest?

Maybe this matter is not related to the topic but today, watching DVD movie with VLC, Kubuntu has been frozen and I couldn’t do anything but restart. It happened twice so I gave up watching it in Kubuntu. The disc isn’t broken because I could play in under Windows.

cheers!
toad
Global Moderator
OS
I would suggest you have a go at www.kubuntuforums.net and get help there - all friendly folk who run your OS :)

Debian testing