This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't log in to Kde anymore

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
udx6bs
Registered Member
OS

Can't log in to Kde anymore

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am
Hi there,
I reinstalled my system with Kubuntu 11.10 Beta1 64Bit.
Everything went fine until I enabled my NVidia binary driver.
After that the system froze after booting. However I could still log in with recovery mode and start kdm manually. And that went fine.

After the last update KDM starts without a problem (without goin into recov mode). HURRAY.
But after I type my login/pw. there is a window poping up for a millisecond and than X restarts and I have to login again. Safe Mode login option is the same.

I found something on google to rename my .kde folder, so it creates new settings. Result is the same.

So after that I looked at the kdm log and it states that it cant connect to DBUS. So I restarted the DBUS service and now after login I get a "cant connect to /var/run/dbus/dbus_socket" or something like that.

Any ideas here? Would some of the log files help u understand my problem? If so plz state which logs i should attach.

My Specs:
Q6600 4GB Memory NV460gtx 768MB

sda1 Win7 Sys partition
sda2 Win7 64Bit NTFS
sda3 Swap
sda4 ext4 ROOT

sdb+sdc => ext4 lvm mounted into /home

thx in advance
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Can't log in to Kde anymore

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm
Does this affect one user or all users? Are you sure all packages are up to date?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
udx6bs
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:00 pm
System is up to date. All default repositories, except wine. Have only a single user ( system created users not counted ).
udx6bs
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am
Well I reinstalled it and now it works.
Thx anyway.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 am
For future reference, a check of the X server logs (usually under /var/log) or ~/.xsession-errors may have yielded the reason why it failed to start. I suspect it was related to the NVidia drivers.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]