This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Could not start D-Bus. Can you Call qdbus? Error please help

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TroN-0074
Registered Member
OS
Hi KDE users
I recently started using FreeBSD and I selected KDE as my default Desktop Manager. After the latest upgrade in my system I havent been able to start a graphical session all I get is a
Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?

If I type qdbus in terminal I get a reply with
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40701) with this library (version 0x40704)
Abort trap (core dumped)

Can somebody please advice and how to get back to the graphical interface. I will appreciate all advices.
Thank you.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please reinstall Qt - it appears you have a partial installation of Qt.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
TroN-0074
Registered Member
OS
Thank you I will try to install Qt. I was hoping for more advices since I am also new a FreeBSD I still will have to figure out how to install specific packages.

I appreciate your inputs.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I believe FreeBSD uses a system named "ports". I would recommend asking on a FreeBSD specific forum/mailing list regarding that however.

KDE Sysadmin
TroN-0074
Registered Member
OS
Thank you!
I solved the problem by re installing xorg and then re installed KDE.

I have a graphical interface now.

I like KDE!
gldvorak
Registered Member
OS
But how does one install packages when you cannot login?

George
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Usually one will use a failsafe environment or login on a virtual terminal (text console) and use the package management tools from there.

KDE Sysadmin
jburkhart
Registered Member
I get the same error message. I've built an LFS system, then moved through BLFS. When starting KDE with kdm a normal user cannot log in getting the, "Could not start D-Bus. Can you Call qdbus?" error message. From the command line I can start KDE using startx as root and all works well. When I startx as a normal user the x-server crashes. I am guessing that this is a permissions issue but am not sure how to proceed.