This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok modifies KDE appearance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Amarok modifies KDE appearance

Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 pm
Hi All,

As soon as I run Amarok just once KDE becomes ugly (I think all the widgets become transparent). To fix it I tried the following but no one fixed the problem:
  1. Clicked F5 to refresh the desktop
  2. Removed and added many different desktop widgets
  3. Changed window styles
  4. Changed themes
  5. Installed latest proprietary display drivers (I'm using NVIDIA)

How can I fix this issue?

PS
The only solution for this bug is deleting the corrupted user and create a new one without running Amarok.

Screenshots
[Before running Amarok] http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2203/snapshot1bk.png
[After running Amarok] http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8576/snapshot2pr.png
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Amarok changes KDE appearance

Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm
This is not Amarok related but concerns your desktop effects. I can't tell you exactly which one it is, but that will move this thread to KWin.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Amarok modifies KDE appearance

Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm
I also changed the title of your thread, as there is no crash.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Hans
Administrator
OS
The desktop theme has been changed to Oxygen, try to change it back to Air in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Desktop Theme.

It sounds strange that Amarok would change your desktop theme. Can you reproduce it?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 pm
Hans wrote:The desktop theme has been changed to Oxygen, try to change it back to Air in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Desktop Theme.

It sounds strange that Amarok would change your desktop theme. Can you reproduce it?

You're right after switching to Air theme it worked.

By summary,

Amarok changes Desktop Theme to Oxygen just for first run.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 pm
Very unlikely, unless you have it set somewhere in a configuration file.

Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 am
mbnoimi wrote:Amarok changes Desktop Theme to Oxygen just for first run.

Can you reproduce this with a fresh user?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm
Hans wrote:
mbnoimi wrote:Amarok changes Desktop Theme to Oxygen just for first run.

Can you reproduce this with a fresh user?

After updating Amarok and KDE this issue once again occurred after creating a fresh new user.
Schoelje
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm
I regretfully must confirm this issue.
Working on a Debian based distribution with KDE, I can reproduce this for every first run of Amarok.

This is reported on Linux Mint KDE 12:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... a-kde.html

And on Sabayon 8.0:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/sabayon-8.html

I cannot find any reports of other applications then Amarok with this behavior.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a list of files that are changed/created during the first run?
The files in .kde/share/config/ and .kde/share/apps/amarok/ do not seem to have any influence on the theme-change.
luebking

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:46 pm
amarok will likely accidentally write [Theme] instead of [Theme-amarok] in ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
I guess that could happen if the QApplication::applicationName() is empty what could be an issue with KUniqueApplication (but this is just a very wild guess)

Long story short:
a) try whether running "amarok --nofork" causes this as well
b) chmod -w ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc (ensure it's not ~/.kde4/...) *might* prevent this (by locking the config against alteration. KConfig* hopefully obeys this)
Schoelje
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 am
plasmarc has no Theme or Theme-amarok before first run.
After that only Theme-amarok is written to the file, so there is no Theme parameter written.
Changing the desktop theme does add the Theme parameter:

[$Version]
update_info=plasma_popupapplet_fix_groups.upd:PlasmaPopupAppletFixGroups2

[Theme]
name[$d]

[Theme-amarok]
name=Amarok-Mockup

amarok --nofork results in the same behavior.
Making plasmarc read only changes the desktop theme immediately.

It seems illogical to write Amarok specific configuration to plasmarc (which causes unwanted behavior in the Plasma desktop theme) while it would be more logical to use amarokrc for Amarok specific configuration.

See also: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163158