This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Desktop Performance with nVidia Binary Blob

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hakanb
Registered Member
OS
Hello all,

I'm using KDE for some time (about six years) and love it, but when I upgraded my computer and got a shiny i7 with a GTX680, my desktop performance degraded in a visible way. I'm using Debian testing and it's quite bit old (I think I installed it ~5 years ago) but I kept it tidy and clean.

Most visible symptom of the problem is stuttering. My desktop effects stutter. Some things are smooth, like moving windows, but switching desktops (I use sliding switcher) and transparency transitions heavily stutter as far as I can see. Also, I see a vsync tearing on my screen which divides my screen 25%/75% visible in any fast moving scene regardless of the displayed image (window decoration, video, etc). The appearence doesn't bother me much but my productivity drops from waiting for KWin. Does anybody experience this and have some tips about the issue?

For the information, I use KDE 4.8.4 (from Debian testing) & non-packaged 304.51 drivers that I compiled. My X.Org conf file is very basic which only enables on-demand v-sync and coolbits support on the driver.

Many thanks in advance,

Regards.
google01103
Manager
could you create and test as a new user, alternatively rename ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc and then restart Kwin with kwin --replace

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

hakanb
Registered Member
OS
Thanks a lot. It seems the original file was archaic. KDE works like a charm again!
BTW, how do I accept your answer?
google01103
Manager
it appears you can't, as the option is not available in the "KDE Cafe" forum which is not meant for help issues

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x