This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE does not power down the monitor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
infestor
Registered Member
OS

KDE does not power down the monitor

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 pm
i set the monitor to switch off after 14 minutes (i have no screensaver installed). but what happens is that the monitor gets switched on and off continuously after 14 minutes. but "switching on" part is a bit odd: the monitor doesn't switch on completely (i.e shows the desktop), but instead (i guess) the monitor gets a signal from linux or KDE and displays a black screen. why am i worried? because i think this frequent power on/off might run down my monitor.
luebking
What precisely did you configure to happen after 14 minutes (xset +dpms? powerdevil? screensaver? -> screenshot?)

If your monitor has an LED backlight, it's unlikely gonna take permanent damage (but you're not saving any power either)
For a CCFL backlight, I suggest to stop that behavior by disabling the causing "switch off" configuration - it sresses the transformer.
infestor
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:What precisely did you configure to happen after 14 minutes (xset +dpms? powerdevil? screensaver? -> screenshot?)

If your monitor has an LED backlight, it's unlikely gonna take permanent damage (but you're not saving any power either)
For a CCFL backlight, I suggest to stop that behavior by disabling the causing "switch off" configuration - it sresses the transformer.

http://i.imgur.com/7x08iYt.png

nothing. just switch off the monitor. if i need another program to configure power setup please tell me. i just used KDE power management in system settings.

my monitor is a Lenovo thinkvision L220x
luebking
FTR: powerdevilprofilesconfig kcm

> my monitor is a Lenovo thinkvision L220x
Didn't find an info on it, but from pictures, release date and WG support, i'd bet on a CCFL backlight.

Also i found:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVision ... td-p/22086
The problem there seems to be related to the VGA connection.

You don't need any additional programs, there're just quite some ways to control the power saving (not to mention "switching off" the display)

For a quick test, please try (in konsole)
Code: Select all
xset dpms force off

This should switch off the monitor immediately.
You can also try the other two states
xset dpms force standby
xset dpms force suspend

Moving the mouse should reactivate the screen.

If the same issue occurs here, this is not related to powerdevil.
Either it is the mentioned issue about the VGA connection or "something" keeps sending your screen on/off signals.
infestor
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:If the same issue occurs here, this is not related to powerdevil.
Either it is the mentioned issue about the VGA connection or "something" keeps sending your screen on/off signals.

unfortunately it appears so. none of the commands were able to put the screen to a complete power off mode. it kept cycling back and forth between power on and off modes. strangely i dont have this issue in windows 7. must be smth (a driver?) not compatible within the kernel i am using (3.2.0-4-amd64)

moreover, despite i use DVI for connection (both ends of the cable are DVI) KDE shows my connection as if it is VGA.
http://i.imgur.com/c4fuWET.png
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To eliminate any normal desktop applications as the cause of this issue, could you login to a failsafe xterminal (ie. without KDE or any desktop environment) and run the previously given xset commands?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
luebking
moreover, despite i use DVI for connection (both ends of the cable are DVI) KDE shows my connection as if it is VGA.

This will likely match the output of "xrandr -q"

What is the screen wired to? Notebook? Some dedicated graphics card or an onboard connector?
Does the computer have another graphics output? (Seems so, unless it's a notebook?)
infestor
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:

This will likely match the output of "xrandr -q"

What is the screen wired to? Notebook? Some dedicated graphics card or an onboard connector?
Does the computer have another graphics output? (Seems so, unless it's a notebook?)

the monitor is wired to my PC chassis. my graphic card is geforce 7600gs. the card has both VGA and DVI outputs, i use DVI out (graphic card) and DVI in (the monitor).

Last edited by infestor on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
infestor
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:To eliminate any normal desktop applications as the cause of this issue, could you login to a failsafe xterminal (ie. without KDE or any desktop environment) and run the previously given xset commands?

well, i hope i logged in "in the correct way" by doing
/etc/init.d/kdm stop

i ran the xset commands but it complained that:
xset: unable to open display""

:(
luebking
the monitor is wired to my PC chassis. my graphic card is geforce 7600gs.

Nouveau or nvidia driver? ("nvidia" is the binary blob - in doubt upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere)

well, i hope i logged in "in the correct way" by doing

No, you stopped the X11 server (and logged into a linux terminal ;-)

There should be some "failsafe" session in KDMs session menu (it's basically a naked X11 server with an xterm, hover it with the mouse, then try the commands, and finally enter "exit" to quit xterm and the "session" with it)
infestor
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:Nouveau or nvidia driver? ("nvidia" is the binary blob - in doubt upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere)

it's Nouveau (here is my xorg log anyway)

luebking wrote:No, you stopped the X11 server (and logged into a linux terminal ;-)

There should be some "failsafe" session in KDMs session menu (it's basically a naked X11 server with an xterm, hover it with the mouse, then try the commands, and finally enter "exit" to quit xterm and the "session" with it)

cannot login in failsafe mode :( . the screen goes black for a moment then i am back at the KDM screen.
i do have xterm installed. maybe i am missing a config file or a necessary package :o i don't know.
luebking
Try stopping KDM, login to a linux terminal as you did.
There run

X & sleep 5; xterm

you should be taken to VT7 with running X11 and get an xterm to operate on.
When done, simply "pkill xterm; pkill X; /etc/init.d/kdm start & exit" from the linux terminal again.
infestor
Registered Member
OS
i hope i did it correct this time:
stopped KDM:
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

then i switched to tty1 and ran:
sudo X & sleep 5; xterm

its output was:
[1] 24398

[1]+  Stopped                 sudo X
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set
luebking
don't run X as root, should not be required (ie, omit the "sudo")
also ensure to "export DISPLAY=:0" before running xterm

export DISPLAY=:0
X & sleep 5; xterm
infestor
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote: Also i found:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVision ... td-p/22086
The problem there seems to be related to the VGA connection.

I actually went ahead with this suggestion and the problems is solved! :)
apparently it was my **** geforce 7600gs card. i bought a geforce 210.