This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issues with desktop effects, screen tearing and flickering

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stamostolias
Registered Member
OS
Hallo i face a problem with kwin. I look for cover switch effect. I do not know if it is by default or i should download it. I have install the extra kde repository on laptop which has given me extra effects who i have already enabled.

Ooops i have posted in wrong thread. Sorry.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
stamostolias wrote:Ooops i have posted in wrong thread. Sorry.

Yes.
Anyway, the "Cover Switch" effect is installed by default.
But you have to enable the effect, and then configure the task switcher to actually use it.

See here: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.p ... ed-working
stamostolias
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:
stamostolias wrote:Ooops i have posted in wrong thread. Sorry.

Yes.
Anyway, the "Cover Switch" effect is installed by default.
But you have to enable the effect, and then configure the task switcher to actually use it.

See here: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.p ... ed-working

I have enabled it. Thank you. :) :) :) :)
Kalinda99
Registered Member
Hello again!

I think I fixed it, kind of. But some background information first.

Alright, so, I got another computer a couple days ago (Intel Quad Core, Nvidia 8800 GTS; the same video card as my original AMD desktop that has this issue), installed Arch on it and set it up the same way as my AMD PC is set up. The screen flickering issue does not happen with the Intel PC. Netflix works like a charm and everything is great. So, naturally I assumed it would work on my AMD PC if I re-installed Arch. I also assumed re-installing Arch would fix a different issue I've been having with compositing that the Intel PC also doesn't have.

However, it didn't fix anything. Arch has been re-installed on the AMD PC and I still got screen flickering and X crashing with desktop effects enabled when attempting to watch Netflix. I don't really understand why it works on the Intel PC and not the AMD one, as they both have exactly the same video card and they are both using the proprietary Nvidia driver. The only explanation is that one is AMD and the other is Intel. Does anyone have any idea why I'd have this problem with an AMD PC and not an Intel one? The AMD PC, by the way, is a better computer overall; it has DDR3 RAM, while the Intel PC only has DDR2, and a weaker CPU.

Anyway, following what luebking suggested, I decided to give it a try with another program that uses Wine (since Netflix also uses Wine): World of Warcraft. So, I loaded up WoW (with DirectX, not OpenGL) and left desktop effects running, and the second I tried to alt+tab out of WoW (or adjust my volume), the screen would flicker exactly the same as it did when I tried to watch Netflix and the whole thing would freeze up. So I headed to the Arch wiki and found THIS. Running WoW with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 made it work flawlessly. I could even disable and re-enable desktop effects without problem.

So I ran
Code: Select all
__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 firefox
and I was able to watch Netflix again! Yay!

The only problem is that wine-silverlight and pipelight don't like it if I disable desktop effects, either in the middle of watching Netflix, or even if I just do it with Firefox open. If I do it, Firefox needs to be restarted before watching Netflix again in order to avoid screen flickering. I think. I haven't been able to test it as fully as I'd like because my other issue with screen lag/freezing (linked to above) means I can't just leave desktop effects on all all the time. I should point out that, conversely, on the Intel PC, I can disable/re-enable desktop effects with pipelight/Netflix running and it causes no issues at all.

I may want to try some of the other things suggested on the Arch WoW Wiki page for nvidia users, such as the Wine patch.

Sorry if this was really long-winded, but I thought I should get everything down, and show my work.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated, but this fix seems to be good for now.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Interesting. Are there any other differences, such as the Kernel, X, or other relevant library versions in use following the reinstallation? I'm guessing they are the same now.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rafaelmrc
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:
rafaelmrc wrote:I have had two Nvidia cards and the same problem with both.[/code]

"No, you don't since"

I can't understand what do you mean with that phrase.

rafaelmrc wrote:If I disable composition (shift -alt - f12 is the only way, cause screen is like a puzzle of triangles) the screen is fine and can activate again composition.

This one here's is especially about an UNCOMPOSITED desktop.

rafaelmrc wrote:This always happen only when resuming from suspend or hibernate.

nvidia + STR bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=323686

My desktop has always compositing activated. So, I need to disable it (shift[/b] -alt - f12) to get a readable desktop. Then, I enable again compositing with the same keystrokes, to see again my KDE windows effects.

Please ensure you're not using a framebuffer konsole.
It might also be just a lack of reposting the framebuffer on wakeup (this can usually be configured in BIOS/UEFI)

Well, I have no UEFI BIOS, and don't know what do you mean about if I'm using a framebuffer console. I'm always on console 7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7), with "Yakuake" as quick console access method and a Konsole window to access by ssh to a remote server. So, I'm not logged usually with any "direct" console but with KDE windows consoles.

I wish you understand my explanation.

:(
luebking
If you post the output of
Code: Select all
dmesg | grep NVRM
I can tell you whether you're running a framebuffer console
(This has nothing to do with the VT running X11, nor any terminal emulator - eg. yakuake - there. There's just no support for a framebuffer console AND X11 in the nvidia driver and a console you have - it's what you see before X11 starts)

You are using either UEFI *OR* BIOS - UEFI is not BIOS ;-)
This has however nothing to do with the framebuffer console, but there you can manipulate the system behavior on resume to power and one option is (often) to repost the video memory what *might* be a cause for visual issues.
rafaelmrc
Registered Member
OS
I'm not just on that PC, so I will execute that command later. However, someone talk in this or the thread you mentioned here, something about OpenGL and screensavers. In fact, I suspect than the problem come when my system go to hibernate/suspend automatically, cause is when a OpenGL screensaver ("Tentacles") is working!!. I must investigate it, but possibly something is going wrong in that scenario. :-\
edwardv
Registered Member
The topic is quite old already, but I have just updated two old computers (about 6-7 years old) from Kubuntu 14.10 to 15.10. They both had very simply ATI onboard graphics. I updated one existing installation of KDE Plasma 5 (14.10 to 15.10) and installed one with Kubuntu 15.10 from scratch. Yes, the tearing and flickering is there, and yes there was an easy fix:

See #4 on

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2280334

System settings >hardware>display and monitor>compositor
Tearing prevention : fullscreen repaints
(instead of "automatic")

In German (which I'm using):
Systemeinstellungen>Hardware>Anzeige und Monitor>
Einzelbild-Zerreißen (Tearing) verhindern : Vollständiges Neuzeichnen
(statt "Automatisch")

One of the PC onboard graphcis is an: ATI Radeon HD 4200

I have had no performance problems, even though I was warned about this on changing the setting. Everything works just fine.

This should be fixed, otherwise people trying out Kubuntu (KDE Plasma 5) on oldish hardware will be put off. Especially the oldest PC (about 7 years old) was completely unusable (the other one only had "tearing" occasionally).
luebking
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2280334

That's about nvidia.

> Especially the oldest PC was completely unusable
In how far exactly?
(I bet on bad flicker for a broken buffer age implementation in the driver, try "KWIN_USE_BUFFER_AGE=0 kwin_x11 --replace &")
edwardv
Registered Member
I am not a very experienced admin, so I can't really comment much on a broken buffer age implementation in the driver. I may try this solution if I find the time.

The "oldest PC" (mentioned above) has an ATI Radeon 3200 onboard graphics processor.

For this PC, the flickering and tearing was so bad that it extremely slowed down any attempt to click on an icon, for instance. Saving a document with LibreOffice, for instance, took many, many seconds, because the "Save" window was displayed bit by bit, starting with individual buttons (like "OK" "Save as" or "Cancel"), then the rest of the window was displayed, like in a jigsaw puzzle. As I said, bit by bit.

Displaying a website in Firefox took a long time too, because here too the individual bits were displayed little bit by little bit, like in the days of the dial-up modem.

The PC was in a way "usuable" of course, as eventually windows were displayed, but it was unusable for practical or productive work.

Even though the underlying problem may be something else, choosing "fullscreen repaints" (see viewtopic.php?f=111&t=122012&start=15#p346651) has solved the problem. There is no tearing at all.

Sometimes the tearing does reappear upon booting, but rebooting once usually gets rid of it. I don't know why this happens.
edwardv
Registered Member
I had a similar problem with an Intel-based notebook.

The system says it is an "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 09)".

My records tell me it is an "Intel GMA X4500M".

The CPU is an "Intel Prozessor Core 2 Duo T6600 (2x 2.2GHz)".

On updating to Kubuntu 15.10 it at first seemed as if nothing was happening after the first reboot. It looked like I couldn't click on K-menu (the K in the bottom left-hand corner) or on anything else (desktop icon). Then I found out that it just took many seconds for each command to be processed.

There was no "tearing" and no flickering in evidence here. It just took something like at least 20 seconds for any click-command to be processed and for the next window to be loaded.

Waiting patiently for each click to be processed, I changed to "fullscreen repaints" in the System Settings (see viewtopic.php?f=111&t=122012&start=15#p346651). The notebook works normally now.
luebking
You'll likely run into some sort of problem reg. the buffer_age implemtation in the driver, try
KWIN_USE_BUFFER_AGE=0 kwin_x11 --replace &

We will certainly not default to full scene repaints because it *does* have quite some overhead and it would mean to default to buggy drivers.