This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How does mouse mark work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
happykdeuser
Registered Member

How does mouse mark work

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 am
Hello,
I'm struggling to understand the behaviour of mouse mark functionality, specifically the arrow drawing.
For those unfamiliar with it - you can hold
Code: Select all
meta+ctrl+shift
and it will somehow draw the arrow. However, sometimes it does not and sometimes it disables the mouse mark functionality until I somehow reset it (i.e. frantically press all buttons related to mouse mark).

Is there some documentation that describes it? I'd really love to use arrow drawing during presentation

Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: How does mouse mark work

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 pm
it will not "somehow draw the arrow", you hold these three buttons and click on the mouse to draw an arrow, if you move the mouse while holding those keys, a lot of arrows will be drawn pointing to the direction you move. Clicking on a starting and an end point will draw an arrow with a line and an Arrow head (releasing at least one of the buttons while moving the mouse).
Erasing what you did is quite easy, there is no "frantically clicking all related buttons", just Meta+Shift+F12 for the last mark or Meta+Ctrl+F11 for all marks.
Maybe you don't see the use of this Effect: if you are in a presentation and want to draw on your screen, you can use this, and easily erase it again.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
happykdeuser
Registered Member

Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:32 am
Hello Mamarok,
sorry if my post came out as offensive, that was not my intention. I truly appreciate mouse mark and use it extensively during presentations.

Thanks for the ctrl+shift+meta+click, I didn't try that. Although it is little awkward if I move the mouse by mistake and draw several arrow heads.

I sure know about Meta+Shift+F12/F11, but sometimes I found a way to enter state when it did not work and I have to press multiple key combinations to get out of there.

And maybe I'm extra thick but can you tell me step by step how to draw arrow from point A to B without any other drawing?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:47 pm
click the Ctrl+Shift+Meta buttons and click the mouse on the point you want the arrow to point to, then release any of those buttons, move your mouse to the arrow origin, hold the three buttons again and click the mouse once

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
happykdeuser
Registered Member

Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:45 pm
That just either
a) draws two arrow heads with no connecting line if I released the shift or meta button
b) draws two arrow heads with handdrawn line if i released the ctrl button

somehow (not exactly sure how) it works if I try it on multiple arrow heads:
1) hold ctrl+shift+meta, move mouse around to draw multiple arrow heads
2) release shift (still hold ctrl+meta)
3) move mouse to the origin of arrow
4) press shift
5) click with mouse

Then there's also another gotcha on how to draw multiple arrows that are not connected to each other.

I give up and will do with my not-so-beautiful handdrawn arrows.

Thank you though