This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Move offscreen window

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mfoley
Registered Member

Move offscreen window

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:44 am
Although I'm having this problem with Dolphin it probably relates to windows generally. I'm new to KDE5. I've opened a Dolphin window but the menubar is off the top of the screen. How do I move it to on-screen? With KDE4 I would hold down the ALT key and use the move to move it, but that doesn't seem to work with KDE5.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Move offscreen window

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:20 am
This still works in a default Plasma installation, just tested here.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mfoley
Registered Member

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 am
Thanks for your reply - Distro is Slackware-Current (15.0). The Plasma version appears to be 5.20.5. Linux kernel 5.10.15.

On other opened windows I can use the ALT-mouse technique, but only if the title-bar or menu-bar is visible and I click there. On any window, if I ALT-mouse on the body of the window, it does not work to move it. For this particular Dolphin window, the title and menubar are both off-screen and all I can see is the body of the window listing the "places" in the left side-bar.

Is there another way?
mfoley
Registered Member

Re: Move offscreen window  Topic is solved

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm
I found out the solution: right-click on the window icon in the taskbar > More Actions > Move. Subsequent mouse movements then will move that window around. This worked even when the window was entirely off all screens.
hankbb
Registered Member

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 pm
Edit: Found a fix: I can drag the thumbnail of the app in the desktop view in the taskbar and regain control of location.

I'm on Debian Bullseye and have a Firefox window where the top of the page is off screen. The <alt>drag does not work. When I right click on the taskbar icon the move and resize options are grayed out.

Thanks!

Edit: Versions:
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-9-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Radeon RX 570 Series

(Very nice to have a copy to clipboard button on the System Information screen.)
rubikcube
Registered Member

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:00 am
FWIW, the key for Alt+drag is configurable in KDE between Alt and Meta. For me, Meta is the Windows key.

I actually prefer this setting because the Win key is otherwise pretty useless, and because it makes sense because it moves windows. o)