This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

configure new window location on virtual desktop

Tags: virtual desktop virtual desktop virtual desktop
(comma "," separated)
smjt
Registered Member
I'm using Manjaro and made virtual desktops dynamic. when I want to open a program the window does not open in the current desktop. when I'm in desktop 1 and open terminal it will be open in desktop 2 or any other desktops.
is there anyway to config this problem? I want to open new windows in desktop that I am currently using.
another question: is there any keyboard shortcut to move windows to other desktops? in gnome with shift + PageUp/PageDown, window moved to other desktops.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
All this can be configured in the System Settings -> Workspace -> Window Management

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
smjt
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:All this can be configured in the System Settings -> Workspace -> Window Management

Can you give me more details?
I don't know what to do.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Go to the section "Window Rules", click on the + icon at the bottom left "+ Add New..", then add a description, e.g. Initial location for windows or what suits you better.
Then click on the button " + Add Property..." at the bottom left and choose "Virtual Desktop" in the "Size & Position section: Set it to the default (e.g. Apply Initially, All Desktops) and hit the apply button at the bottom right.
Caveat: If you have already set other Window Rules for specific applications these will not be overruled, so you will have to tweak these eventually.

FWIW: the same can be done for individual applications by setting the Window Class as Exact Match to a specific application.
FWIW2: instead of opening System Settings, you can also right click on the title bar of any running application and access thee settings in the "More Actions" section.

With the amount of possible settings I suggest you play around a bit to see what the individual settings do. I am relatively lazy in that regard and use mostly the default settings but for some specific applications I want on specific screens and/or Virtual Desktops

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...