This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] KDE (or possibly X) crashes on logout

Tags: kwin kwin kwin
(comma "," separated)
lumpy211
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

I recently got sick of all the issues that I was having with Ubuntu's Pulse Audio sound system so I decided to switch my desktop over to Arch Linux (I've been running it on my laptop for some time now with KDE 4.2 and haven't had any issues). I've gotten everything running pretty smoothly for the older machine is, even though I had some issues with KWin's compositive, which I've figured out.

The problem that I'm having now is that KDE (or possibly KDM) crashes when I try to log out. The logout sound plays, then the screen just goes blank - it's not completely off because I can tell the monitor's lamp is still on. This is a fresh install of Arch Linux as well as KDE 4.2.

In an effort to figure out what's going on, I ssh'd into the machine after logging in and checked the kdm.log file (nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary there). However, immediately after logout, the following appears in both /var/log/kdm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code: Select all
Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x3b) [0x813017b]
1: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x51) [0x80d8cb1]
2: [0xb801f400]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

The last few lines in /var/log/syslog are
Feb 15 20:22:29 mercury syslog-ng[2288]: Log statistics; processed='center(queued)=1564', processed='center(received)=571', processed='destination(acpid)$
Feb 15 20:29:08 mercury syslog-ng[2288]: Termination requested via signal, terminating;
Feb 15 20:29:08 mercury syslog-ng[2288]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='2.1.3'
Feb 15 20:29:49 mercury syslog-ng[2273]: syslog-ng starting up; version='2.1.3'

Nothing new appears in /var/log/messages after logging out.

Is this an issue with Xorg or KDE? The backtrace seems to indicate X, though I don't have the problem with my laptop running Arch64.

My system stats are:
Sony Vaio PCV-RS610
2.80 GHz Pentium 4
1 GB RAM (2x256 MB and 1x512 MB )
nVidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (compositing enabled, although the problem existed before I got it working)
Integrated Intel graphics (which I'm no[/quote]t using and I didn't have any troubles with in GNOME on Ubuntu)
Integrated Audio

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: As an update, I'm using the nVidia 96.43.09-2 drivers. When switching to the vesa driver, it seems the problem goes away, so it may be a bug with the drivers :-

EDIT 2: I followed the directions on the second post here which involved adding
[X-:*-Core]
TerminateServer=true

to /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and it seems to be fixed :-D

Last edited by lumpy211 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.