This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kwin video record

Tags: kwin, compositing, record kwin, compositing, record kwin, compositing, record
(comma "," separated)
jaapkroe
Registered Member

kwin video record

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 pm
Hi,
I'm trying to get the "video record" tool working in kwin, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Since I couldn't find any (recent) topics on the subject, I thought I'd start one here.

First, I changed the shortcut from "Meta+Ctrl+V" to "Meta+Alt+V", because by default it conflicts with the Amarok shortcut for "Stop playing after track".
Also "Meta+Ctrl" gives some strange stars dancing around (see picture), what does that mean??

But now the real question:
How do I get the 'video record' tool from the composite Kwin effects to actually work??

Because I have no idea where it leaves the video files (if anywhere) and it doesn't give any notice of recording after using the shortcut. All other Kwin features work fine now.
I did find this really old blog entry which stated that you need captury, so I tried but no result.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

[img=500x400]http://ifdb.eu/temp/screen.png[/img]
Is there no way to resize an image in BB code?? (If there is, please edit my post if you can or let me know.)

Last edited by neverendingo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaapkroe, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: kwin video record

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:57 pm
jaapkroe wrote:
Is there no way to resize an image in BB code?? (If there is, please edit my post if you can or let me know.)

There is, see the help documents for this forum, section mycode. Simply add =(width)x(height) to your img-tag. Updated your post.

But for your original question, sorry, never used that feature.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:47 am
Those dancing stars are a KWin 3D effect called "Track Mouse". i have never used KWin's recording feature, i don't even have it :)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 am
The video record plugin is ridiculously difficult to use and it really needs more love. Here's what I did to make the present windows video:

- Activate the effect, it will give no indication of activity except a lower framerate
- Video recordings are saved to ~/kwin_video*.cps
- Run `cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o kwin_video1.y4m` This will convert the file to something that mencoder can read
- Run `mencoder kwin_video1.y4m -o kwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=2 -vf scale=550:350` This will convert the video to an XviD AVI with a quality of "2" (Whatever that means) with the resolution of 550x350.

If anyone can work out a nicer way to do it please mention it here. Maybe we should give it a GUI for KDE 4.3.
jaapkroe
Registered Member

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 am
Zarin wrote:The video record plugin is ridiculously difficult to use and it really needs more love. Here's what I did to make the present windows video:

- Activate the effect, it will give no indication of activity except a lower framerate
- Video recordings are saved to ~/kwin_video*.cps
- Run `cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o kwin_video1.y4m` This will convert the file to something that mencoder can read
- Run `mencoder kwin_video1.y4m -o kwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=2 -vf scale=550:350` This will convert the video to an XviD AVI with a quality of "2" (Whatever that means) with the resolution of 550x350.

If anyone can work out a nicer way to do it please mention it here. Maybe we should give it a GUI for KDE 4.3.

Thanks Zarin that works fantastic!
One small thing, the files are saved in "~/Documents/kwin_video*.cps" for me.
I still have some issues with the graphics, but the basics are definitively working now.
I'll post what I did here:
  1. packages
    Make sure you have the mencoder package installed
    Code: Select all
    sudo apt-get -y install mencoder
  2. video record
    Enable "Video Record" desktop plugin:
    System settings -> Desktop -> Desktop effects -> All Effects-> Video Record
    There you can also configure the keyboard-shortcut if you want.
    Start the video record: for me this is "meta(=win)+alt+v"
  3. encode
    • option 1
      I scripted this part (might come in handy if you want to do it more often), to get it run
      cd /usr/bin/
      sudo wget http://ifdb.eu/temp/dodavideo
      sudo chmod 777 dodavideo

Now you can run it on any cps video you have, e.g.
       dodavideo ~/Documents/kwin_video1.cps
    • option 2
      Just run the commands for yourself
       cd ~/Documents
      cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o kwin_video1.y4m
      mencoder kwin_video1.y4m -o kwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=2 -vf scale=550:350

I agree that it's much too difficult way for ordinary usage, "Video Record" should encode for itself on ending the stream. And I think there are some issues (bugs?) with cpsrecode, because it gives a seg-fault for large files and nasty graphics otherwise for me.

Blizzz
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm
Maybe one or both you want to make up the last two postings and make one in the tutorial forum?

Earthwings
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 pm
Zarin wrote:- Run `cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o kwin_video1.y4m` This will convert the file to something that mencoder can read

That should be doable in one step -- like
cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o - | mencoder - -okwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=900

Adjust mencoder options as you like.

Last edited by Earthwings on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:40 am
Earthwings wrote:
Zarin wrote:- Run `cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o kwin_video1.y4m` This will convert the file to something that mencoder can read

That should be doable in one step -- like
cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o - | mencoder - -okwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=900

Adjust mencoder options as you like.

When I try to use pipes mencoder just complains that it can't detect the video stream format. Have you tried it?
jaapkroe
Registered Member

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm
Piped command works fine for me, except there a space has gone missing.
-okwin_video1.avi -> -o kwin_video1.avi
cpsrecode -i kwin_video1.cps -o - | mencoder - -o kwin_video1.avi -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=900

Mandriva_User
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:43 pm
I record my desktop with Kdenlive.

Mandriva_User, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.