This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can you use emerald with kde 4's builtin compositing?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
everest
Registered Member
OS
Can you use emerald with kde 4's builtin compositing? I other words is it possible to not use compiz and still use emerald window decorations?

LinuxDNA.com Project Architect
KDE 4.4 | nVidia drivers in twinview | X-Fi sound card
Moblin Linux / FC 11 / Gentoo / Ubuntu
jrch2k10
Registered Member
OS
no, cuz well kwin have the code to the decoration and the composite, so to put emerald you need to disable kwin but you loose the composite at the same time.

with compiz you can cuz compiz only handle the composite not the windows decoration
Paulfocused
Registered Member
OS
I'm using Emerald decor's with KDE4 in Mandriva (using compiz of course). Just disable effects for KDE, and use a little startup script to make compiz replace kwin on startup while using the emerald decor's. It all works perfectly;)

Timo
Registered Member
OS
I think he wants to keep kwin. Unfortunately as far as I can tell it is not possible to turn off kwin's window decorations and run something entirely different. There are however some 'engines' that let you heavyly modify the way the decorations look.
Paulfocused
Registered Member
OS
Timo wrote:I think he wants to keep kwin. Unfortunately as far as I can tell it is not possible to turn off kwin's window decorations and run something entirely different. There are however some 'engines' that let you heavyly modify the way the decorations look.

Oh, in that case you are correct. Running Emerald decorations under Kwin cannot be done. You could however copy over some pixamps from emerald themes and make a new Kwin theme of course. That and engines as you said are about the only ways to go about this.

cfeck
KDE Developer
An initial version of Smaragd (the Emerald engine for KWin) has been released, see http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/2010/05/23 ... es-on-kde/

Christoph Feck