This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 Window Decorations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mw007
Registered Member
OS

KDE4 Window Decorations

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:29 pm
I have a few questions about how KDE4 Window Decorations are handled.

1. How do I uninstall a theme once it is installed? Can I uninstall a default theme?

2. When compiling a theme (from kde-look.org), the theme compiles and says it installs, but then it is not available from the Window Decoration section of System Settings. Is there anyway I can debug the reason why?

3. When I look at a theme's source (different from the theme mentioned in question #2), I notice there are multiple versions of the theme. Looking through the directory structure, I see different images for the same button under different directories. This is what leads me to believe that there are multiple version of the same theme. How can I select these different versions of the same theme?

I've looked through the forum and kde-look.org and have googled and searched the source of the themes I'm wanting to use and am just coming up emtpy-handed. Any help or nudge in the right direction is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!
mw
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: KDE4 Window Decorations

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:40 am
Moved to KWin forum.

1) Uninstalling a default theme is not possible apart from through your distributions package manager. Uninstalling third party themes you have installed should be possible by running "make uninstall" in the source compilation directory.

2) Try running "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" after (un)installing a theme.

3) These will likely be for different resolution screens / decoration sizes, or customisation options available through the "Configure" button beside the theme drop down.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mw007
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Running kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental is what I needed.

I had to uninstall a theme, then install the "mod" version of that same theme.

Also, the different directories I referred to in my previous post were the different configurations under the "Button" tab in the Window Decoration section of kconfig.

Thanks, bcooksley!
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:38 am
I'd highly recommend that you use Portage for installing themes and other KDE packages. The reasons include that it makes uninstalling it easier, prevents file collisions, and ensures that it is in a workable state.

If there is no ebuild available in the official tree or the overlays, writing your own ebuild is extremely easy for a KDE-based application. This is pretty much all you need if it uses standard "cmake - make - make install" procedure:

Code: Select all
EAPI=2
inherit kde4-base

DESCRIPTION="This is a sample"
HOMEPAGE="http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/something?content=12345"
SRC_URI="http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/12345-${P}.tar.bz2"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="4"
KEYWORDS="x86 amd64"
IUSE="debug"

DEPEND=""

Just change the download URL and you're pretty much all set.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
mw007
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 pm
Thanks Alec!

I would always like to use and ebuild, when available.

Is this something that I could submit to the KDE team and have them put this into the official portage tree?
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm
I'm not sure... The best thing to do would probably be to ask at #gentoo-kde.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!