This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Bad Performace] Kde 4.5 and Nvidia 9200m gs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
damnn
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

i'm trying on my laptop the new Kde 4.5. I have an Nvidia 9200m gs with the last Nvidia's driver 260.19.12.
The performance aren't very good. The workspace is a bit slow especially the resize and the minimize/maximize windows.

Do you have suggestions? Is it a common problem?
I tried the suggestions of thread "Common problems of KDE4 using Nvidia GPUs" but i have not noticed improvements.
I have a similar situation to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUwnirG5ecs

Hans
Administrator
OS
Try to disable the Blur effect in System Settings -> (Workspace Appearance and Behavior ->) Desktop Effects -> All Effects.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
google01103
Manager
if the effect blur is enabled, disable it

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

damnn
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for te replies, i alredy disabled blur.

Are there, for example, some parameteres i can add to xorg.conf to encrease the performance?

PS I have always had this kynd of problems with kde 4.x, for this reason i have switched to gnome in the last year. Now if I could get back to kde would not be bad. ;)

Last edited by damnn on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
google01103
Manager
view this thread may help viewtopic.php?f=66&t=90821

Hans
Administrator
OS
You can see if anything here helps: http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
damnn
Registered Member
OS
Thank all,

i've tried the possible solution but they don't work. In my case Kde performance with or without raster or particulars xorg configurations are the same... it's strange... seem to have the best performance... :-\
google01103
Manager
maybe you should try the Nouveau driver, see this review of 10.10 http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20101018

Asraniel
Registered Member
Does the performance get worse over time? for me its quite fast at start, but after some time, everything gets really slow.

You can "fix" that as soon as you system get slow by using this command:

nvidia-settings -a PixmapCache=0 && nvidia-settings -a PixmapCache=1

But you have to execute it everytime the system gets slow. What it does is reseting the pixmap cache. Something is terribly broken in the pixmap cache of nvidia and it breaks after some time.
damnn
Registered Member
OS
Asraniel wrote:Does the performance get worse over time? for me its quite fast at start, but after some time, everything gets really slow.

You can "fix" that as soon as you system get slow by using this command:

nvidia-settings -a PixmapCache=0 && nvidia-settings -a PixmapCache=1

But you have to execute it everytime the system gets slow. What it does is reseting the pixmap cache. Something is terribly broken in the pixmap cache of nvidia and it breaks after some time.

This command is useful when plasma get slow after some times of use. However i have some problems, like the slow windows resize, from the start.
At the moment i temporarily solved with compiz. I would have preferred to use kwin but in my laptot the performaces are unnerving :-\
I'm waiting for news with Kde 4.6 and news nvidia drivers.... :z

Thanks all! ;)
Hans
Administrator
OS
Hm so it's mostly slow when Desktop Effects are enabled? I can move this to the KWin subforum to see if the KWin developers know anything about this if you want.

damnn
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:Hm so it's mostly slow when Desktop Effects are enabled? I can move this to the KWin subforum to see if the KWin developers know anything about this if you want.

Yes, it's slow as much as the video in the first post. It isn't useless but it isn't fast as compiz.
Ok if you can move this tread, we'll see if will come some suggestions.

Thanks
nerdy_kid
Registered Member
OS
It is laggy on my geforce8600M unless I do the following:

under the advanced tab of the effects config, openGL mode is shared memory, texture filter is nearest, enable direct rendering is on, use vsync is OFF (huge speed gobbler). That gets everything pretty smooth for me, even though it jacks my card into level 2 power consumption (the hungriest -- 475Mhz GPU clock). I too am eagerly awaiting kwin's performance boosts in 4.6!

(thanks for the pixmap workaround Asraniel, but have you tried oxygen svn? I think that got fixed. Try it here: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/ox ... ent=127752)
damnn
Registered Member
OS
Nothing... in my case the only way to improve performance is compiz :-\

I hope in kde 4.6 o)
schnelle
Registered Member
OS
I made a thread on kubuntu forums with tips which helped me to improve performance of desktop effects.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3114139.0

I hope it helps.