This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Alt-Tab behavior - not really recently used

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I have this:
System Settings -> Window Behavior -> Task Switcher -> Sort order: Recently used

Now, if i minimize a window and then immediately press Alt-Tab, i am not switched to the just minimized window.

And there is no other setting except Staking Order, which i don't need.

Is this a bug, which i should report?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcClUyGlKAU
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
No this is no bug, but intended behavior. Minimising a window means that you no longer want to work with the window. Because of that it is moved to the end of the list. Alt+Tab puts a preference on the windows you are actually working with, that is your currently visible windows.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I often minimize a window to see what's behind it. Then i want it back, but Alt-Tab doesn't bring it back. On Windows XP this is the behavior, and find it logical.
google01103
Manager
you could use the translucency effect to see what's behind the window, you would need to just right click the title bar and shift the window (the shift can be so minimal the window does not actually move, if it does I can't tell)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

luebking
Or just use shading (button, titlebar double/click or shortcut)
Or the taskbar.
Or lower the window (button, titlebar double/click or shortcut)

Using the mouse to minimize a window and then the keyboard to bring it back just to peak what's below *may* be logical but is quite some inefficient workflow, yesno? Even using a screen edge & present windows (aka exposé) after minimizing should be faster.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
I also find this behaviour rather puzzling. It would be nice to have an option to change it.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
scummos wrote:I also find this behaviour rather puzzling. It would be nice to have an option to change it.

Me too.

I don't have possibility to check if it appeared an a recent release, or it was like this from the beginning.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
Does anyone know an easier way how to change this behavior? Without changing C++ code and recompiling it?
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
blindvic wrote:Does anyone know an easier way how to change this behavior? Without changing C++ code and recompiling it?

there is no other way than to change the code. The behavior to skip minimized windows is hardcoded.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
blindvic wrote:I have submitted the wish: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297445

There is such a nice brainstorm forum here. Let's use that one :-)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I've posted it here: brainstorm.php#idea101211_page1

But looks like moderators don't like the idea, and do not approve it :)
seishin
Registered Member
I have made a patch in the KDE/4.11 branch for this and compiled a x64 binary that may be used as replacement:

https://github.com/katakumpo/kde-worksp ... -workspace

Thanks guys for the motivation to crawl through that code, i thought i was the only one annoyed by this :)
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
Recommendation: delete the binary again. A binary compiled on one distribution is completely useless to everybody from other distributions.
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
mgraesslin wrote:Recommendation: delete the binary again. A binary compiled on one distribution is completely useless to everybody from other distributions.

Correction: the binary is completely useless as the binary is not the actual file which contains any functionality. kwin is a kdeinit executable and the binary just loads a library. As you don't provide the library the binary is going to pick up the system's library and it's just the same as before.