This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How push audio to a Av network receiver with Amarok ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tomatito
Registered Member
Sorry for my inexperience. My question is how I can use Amarok to push audio to an AV receiver support DLNA / Airplay / uPnP (DMR). Is it possible to somehow use Amarok as DMC?
With new AV receiver with this network entry becomes a necessity and a breakthrough in audio quality. Any plans or some form of work on this via with Amarok? thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is your system using Pulseaudio?
If it is, then the fastest way to set this up is likely to setup a device in Pulseaudio to send the audio over the network in the appropriate format to the AV receiver.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Tomatito
Registered Member
Yes, I'm using Pulseaudio. I set paprefs and I can see my Yamaha RX-V773 in pavucontrol, but when I exit audio to the Yamaha, Amarok stop playback.
In Amarok I configure Playback / Set Phonon / Audio Hardware Setup to "Sound Card: Independent Devices" and "Sound Device: RX-V773 Playback"
but never saves the settings, when I reopen has always returned to internal audio configuration.
I can not find the part which is wrong. Any help?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is Pulseaudio able to play a test sound to your network receiver successfully?

If it is, I would suggest next performing a test from within System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon to see if Phonon is able to output to the network receiver successfully.

Finally, make sure you are applying the changes to the appropriate categories, and if you are applying them one by one, I suggest applying the settings before moving on to the next category.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kraschute
Registered Member
I do not have Pulseaudio devices and rely on UPnP/DLNA (TV, Stereo, Mobile devices). I would love to see DLNA supported more in KDE (Gets pretty much supported in Gnome) and see no reason why sharing media shouldn't be tightly integrated into the KDE core more tightly. A DMC (Digital Media Controller) integrated into the core would allow many applications to send pictures/videos/music to a Media renderer device!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
kraschute wrote:I do not have Pulseaudio devices ...

Pulseaudio are not devices, it is a media device service to actually handle devices. Depending on your distribution and KDE version (which information unfortunately didn't give) Pulseaudio is installed by default, and you can check the settings with the tool "pavucontrol" (which you might have to install).

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...