This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can I scan only specified folders?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jbuczek
Registered Member

Can I scan only specified folders?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am
Warning: KDE newbie!

Our music is all in one folder and it's sub-folders (/home/MEDIA/MUSIC). For backup convenience first level folders are the names of backup disks (m-disks with a guaranteed 250 year life) and then by album. I want to tell Amarok (or Juk) to scan this sub-tree and NOTHING ELSE.

My daughter is studying four languages at the same time. The many drill and learning programs (Ex: Anki) have over 12,000 short (~2 sec) mp3 files that I DO NOT want showing up on my music player. The various apps put them where they want them and I have little control over their locations.

My wife does catering. She likes talking books when she's working/driving. She used to work with the blind and picked up over 200 with an average of 25 mp3 files each. That's another 5000 mp3 files I DO NOT want showing up on my music player. They are maintained in a different folder.

Amarok seems determined to scan everything in the system.

I've googled. I've tried to click every option on the player. I've tried to read the handbook but it just does not seem possible to limit Amarok to just one sub-tree. Or Juk for that matter.

Can someone tell me I'm wrong and this can be done?

TIA

Note from editor: removed shouting capitals
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
In short, yes. In Settings > Configure Amarok > Local Collection, unselect your home directory, then select only those folders you wish to add to your collection.

jbuczek
Registered Member
excellent. Thank you.