This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Playlist change?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hornetster
Registered Member
OS

Playlist change?

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm
I have got in to the habit of saving playlists from the Amarok interface into the same directory as the music. (ie I have a directory with an album in it, then save the playlist to this directory, from the icon at the bottom of the playlist...) That was until a recent update... Now, it would appear, that playlists will only save to "Playlists file on disk" or "Internal Database"? If I click either, I get no options and it appears as an unnamed playlist, in playlists (which can be renamed.) Fine... But where is the playlist? The reason I do this is I also play from other "places", and this is now broken... :((
Any fix?
Thanks, John.
hornetster
Registered Member
OS

Re: Playlist change?

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 am
Anyone...?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:31 pm
You should start by telling us which exact Amarok version you are talking about, which KDE version and which distribution you use.

Moving this to the Help section of the forum.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
hornetster
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:55 am
Sorry... :-(
Using Suse11.1, KDE4.3.2, Amarok2.2.0

Prior to a recent update (sorry, not sure what the previous was...) there was an icon at the bottom of the current playlist window which would allow you to save the current playlist as... and you could choose where to save it, name, etc, etc.
Now when I choose the 'similar' icon, I get a choice of "Save playlist to Playlist files on disk" or "Save playlist to internal database."
My problem being that I run several 'player' programs, and the way I have been using it is to save the playlist to the directory containing the music files, and all apps pick up those playlists....
Is there another way of doing it in Amarok now?? Or where is the "Playlist files on disk", so I can at least find, move, and/or rename it??

Thanks, John.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:34 pm
The playlists are saved here: $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok/playlists/ and the default action is save to collection.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
hornetster
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 am
Thanks for that - found them.
Was there a reason for the change, I wonder? Seems like a backward move to me - just been playing with it, it saves it as a relative position ie full path is saved in the file - fairly useless for me, the way it was working previously.. I run several OS's, and the playlist's saved in the music directory.... Unfortunately windows and Linux don't use the same directory structure, so those playlists are useless.. :-( I know I can edit them, but that is more work than creating from scratch....
Also, can't save different copies of 'almost' the same playlists?? Remove a track or 2 and try and save it again, it just overwrites the previous playlist, even after renaming the original...?
And the playlists are no longer sorted alphabetically? (Not the contents of the playlists, but the playlists themselves.) Seems a bit random...
Ah well,
John.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Hm, I know there is still some work to do there, I will point the developer to this thread :)

Stecchino
KDE Developer

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:41 pm
hornetster wrote:Thanks for that - found them.
Was there a reason for the change, I wonder? Seems like a backward move to me - just been playing with it, it saves it as a relative position ie full path is saved in the file

Don't you mean absolute path?

In any case, you should be using the export playlist feature if you want to save them in a specific location. Since you want to save them in your collection folders the playlist files will be picked up by the collection scan and added to the saved playlist category.

And if you export the playlist as M3U you can chose tho save them with relative path.
hornetster
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 am
I think you will find that what you are talking about is pre-2.2, as yes, that is the way I used to (and actually am again, as I have updated my OS to Suse11.2, which has actually DOWNGRADED my Amarok to 2.1.1) do it, but in 2.2 things appeared to change.
John
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 am
hornetster wrote:I think you will find that what you are talking about is pre-2.2, as yes, that is the way I used to (and actually am again, as I have updated my OS to Suse11.2, which has actually DOWNGRADED my Amarok to 2.1.1) do it, but in 2.2 things appeared to change.

Yeah, we (Amarok team) were not happy with openSUSE's decision to use Amarok 2.1.1. Even tried to convince them, but in the end they still made a bad call :(

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer