This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

internet radio streams

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lewkor
Registered Member
OS

internet radio streams

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 am
I am using Kubuntu Jaunty. When I first installed the system I know that I was able to add Internet Radio streams and choose them from Playlists -> My Playlists. If I remember correctly there was a button there that had the caption "Add Stream".

Because I screwed up something unrelated, I needed to reinstall the OS. Since then I don't have the "Add Streams" button on the My Playlist tool. Have I missed installing a library or something that has this not show up? Can someone please help me?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: internet radio streams

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:30 am
Menu -> Playlist -> Add Stream...

That said, you probably want to upgrade to Kubuntu 9.10, which comes with Amarok 2.2.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
lewkor
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am
I acknowledge that I have not been specific enough. Great I can use the menu to get the stream that I want. When I have the "Add Stream" button in the
"My Playlist" tool then I can just right click to "load" it into the playlist. That is what I miss.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:19 am
lewkor wrote:I acknowledge that I have not been specific enough. Great I can use the menu to get the stream that I want. When I have the "Add Stream" button in the
"My Playlist" tool then I can just right click to "load" it into the playlist. That is what I miss.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here, but there is one other way to get a stream into the playlist:

Mark (select) the URL, e.g. in your web browser, then press CTRL-C, then go to Amarok, and press the middle mouse button on the playlist.

(This works with 2.2.0, older versions may not have it)

--
itlarson1
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 pm
I think He wants to add the stream into his saved playlists so he can access it quickly latter. I can't figure out how to do this in 2.2 either.
itlarson1
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Seriously- I'd really like to know how to do this. I'm pretty sure it worked in 2.1.
itlarson1
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:14 pm
OK, figured out a workaround. Paste the url into the playlist, remove everything else, then click the floppy disk icon.
tanghus
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 am
But it's not a very handy work-around ;-)
I miss this function too. Just an "Add Stream" entry, give it a name, and it's saved in your Internet streams.

Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen
LXj
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Yes, I totally agree. Storing all your favorite internet streams in "Saved Playlists" is not handy, in fact it's far from it. Last time the topic was brought up, the user decided to write a script which would contain a list of streams he likes: viewtopic.php?f=115&t=84042 Which says something about Amarok's useability: editing the script every time you find a new stream you like appears to be superior than using GUI.

Look at Amarok script section at kde-look.org: half of these scripts just provide lists of streams. I have nothing against lists of streams, but that's just that: lists of streams someone else likes (or all streams for language X, and again -- I might not like most of them). It seems to me, if there was a handy way of managing "my list of streams" in Amarok UI, these "list of streams scripts" wouldn't be as numerous.

So, please add a section "My streams" somewhere (in Internet? in Playlists?), with what tanghus suggested: so you could just click an "Add" button, and specify URL and the name of the station (btw currently if you store the streams in Saved Playlists, it doesn't show the name of the station -- it shows the artist/title of the last song you listened from this stream).

In the thread I linked someone mentions that there is already a script with that funcionality, but I couldn't find it unfortunately
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:39 am
LXj wrote:Yes, I totally agree. Storing all your favorite internet streams in "Saved Playlists" is not handy, in fact it's far from it.

I also agree with this.

That said, we're aware of the issue, so we will probably do something about it as soon as we find time. Time is a rare good though, so please have some patience :)

--