This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

synchronizing playlist to MTP device in Amarok 2 ??

Tags: mtp mtp mtp
(comma "," separated)
jmadero
Registered Member
Thanks for the update stecchino, appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing 4.3.2, thinking it'll still be a couple more months but good to know it's on the way:)
jmadero
Registered Member
Just installed 2.3.2 and I see that theoretically I should be able to transfer playlists but it's not working. I go into saved playlist, drag it over the MTP device, the plus sign comes up, but the transfer doesn't actually happen. Any suggestions?? We are excited to get this functioning, sick of having to go into Windows to transfer playlists
jmadero
Registered Member
My apologies, I misread and thought 2.3.2 was already released but it's 2.3.1.90 (Beta 1). I assume the mtp problem will be fixed by final release. THANK YOU FOR THE HARD WORK! I really appreciate it
jmadero
Registered Member
No luck, just did the upgrade to 2.3.2 and it's still not functioning. Plus sign comes up when I drag the playlist over the mtp device but nothing actually transfers :( Disappointed :(:(
Stecchino
KDE Developer
I don't know the current state of the MTP handler (it's developer is no longer maintaining it) but I can tell that as long as the MTP device and the handler are write enabled it should work.
Then again, MTP is a messy protocol with messy implementation. We are shielded from that a bit by libMTP but it can still have consequences for Amarok.

Good news is the mediadevices (iPod, MTP and USB mass storage) code is schedules for a rewrite, one that is easy to maintain. So hold on tight.
jmadero
Registered Member
Thanks for the update. I was really crossing my fingers this problem would be solved by 2.3.2 as NO software in Linux will allow you to transfer playlists to MTP (or transfer music based on playlists, in other words, make a playlist and then be able to transfer all the music + the playlist to the mtp device). Right now I have some janky set up where I export a playlist, then I have to boot into Windows, import the playlist into WMP and then transfer to the MTP device....I am still unclear of why it was so smooth in 1.4 and at 2.3.2 it's still disfunctional. Something was definitely updated in this release as before if I tried to drag a playlist over my mtp in Amarok it would come up with a red 0 with a line through it, now the plus sign comes up but nothing actually happens. Relying on Windows for ONE thing (honestly, I use it for nothing else), is pretty terrible.

Again, thanks for the update and the hard work, guess I'm waiting until release.....some future date :(
AndyMcGowan
Registered Member
I've just upgraded to 2.32 but couldn't find a way to transfer playlists to MTP devices... am I missing something?

any news from devs?

thanks!
jmadero
Registered Member
You're not missing anything, it's not working and no real news from the developers. Something has changed as now a plus sign comes up when you try to drag the playlist over the mtp device but the transfer doesn't happen. I've emailed the developers to try to get more details
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you see the answer from Stecchino from last week? I hope you do not expect us to fix that within a week, seriously...

So yes, there is news from the developers, now it's up to you to have enough patient till this is fixed, it will not happen today nor next week, the amount of work is simply too big, and all our developers work on Amarok in their free time.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jmadero
Registered Member
Obviously I was meaning beyond what was said in previous conversations within this entry. Try not to jump users about being rude when we all are trying to contribute in what ways we can. I've emailed the developers, beyond that I haven't heard an update on

a. What did change for mtp playlist sync for the new release
b. The exact status since the previous developer quit (I believe??)
c. If we're looking at 6 months or 2 years for the fix

We all understand that developers are working for free on their own time and I believe I speak for all users when I say thank you to those developers.
Stecchino
KDE Developer
jmadero wrote:I've emailed the developers, beyond that I haven't heard an update on

Where exactly did you send this email to? For all user questions please send them to amarok@kde.org and we'll try to reply as soon as possible.
Mails to developers personal addresses are not, I repeat, NOT considered polite and at best won't be responded to.

jmadero wrote:a. What did change for mtp playlist sync for the new release

Nothing should have changed in our code, if it was working before it will still be. Perhaps the upgrade of libMTP broke something but we have not had any reports indicating that.
Try to use the save button underneath the playlist; long click to get the option to save to device. That should work providing you use tracks already on the device.
The handling of playlist drag and drop is not implemented in MTP. It is working for database playlists and playlists on disk though.

jmadero wrote:c. If we're looking at 6 months or 2 years for the fix

I've taken it upon me to re-implement playlist-devices completely because that abandoned code is the only reason we don't have full automatic playlist synchronization with track copy yet. I can't promise anything hopefully it will be present in Amarok 2.4.
jmadero
Registered Member
Thank you much for the update!

In response to a couple things. I sent an email from within the amarok app, the new (I think new??) feature where you can send a comment to the developers, I tried that, not sure where that actually goes to.

I'm still wondering why the plus sign now comes up when I try to drag a playlist over my MTP device, I'm 99% sure that this wasn't the case before so it seems like something changed but I'm probably mistaken.

Really appreciate all the hard work. We'll continue with the Windows fix for now and look forward to seeing the next release. It's too bad that everyone has adopted MTP protocol as it's clear it's impossible to work with (really not one single app in Linux allows to transfer playlists to MTP....that was surprising when I found it out). Thanks again!
Stecchino
KDE Developer
jmadero wrote:I'm still wondering why the plus sign now comes up when I try to drag a playlist over my MTP device, I'm 99% sure that this wasn't the case before so it seems like something changed but I'm probably mistaken.

That is because d'n'd is now possible (between db and files and also UMS podcasts) but I forgot to include a check to see if the drop target is in fact writable. It's a minor detail but will still be fixed once MTP is reimplemented.
AndyMcGowan
Registered Member
still nothing in 2.4 eh???
I worked around it a little but couldn't find anything
underpope
Registered Member
Nothing in 2.5 either.