This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

synchronizing playlist to MTP device in Amarok 2 ??

Tags: mtp mtp mtp
(comma "," separated)
jasreca
Registered Member
Would anyone be so kind to direct me how to synchronize a playlist in Amarok2 with a portable device?

Maybe I'm just retarded, and don't get the logic behind it, but when I plug in my Creative ZEN (which is an MTP device) I can see it and the music that is on it, under Local Music, I can even see Playlists from the device (which are mixed up with Playlists from the Library so that you don't know which is which - extremely confusing) - but I don't see a way to synchronize a playlist to the device.

Also, when I try to send some tracks to the device, the device switches to "Updating" screen (which it shouldn't do until all the files have been transferred and device disconnected) it stays that way while Amarok pretends to send files to the device, and when it's finished, ZEN is fu*ked up and i need to reset it, and the files are not on the device.

Needless to say, everything (and more) worked fine in 1.4...

I tried reverting to 1.4, but this is a fresh install of karmic, and trying to remove amarok and then install amarok14 messes up apt-get, which then isn't able to check dependencies for any other package. The only thing I could do is remove stale amarok14 packages and dependencies and reinstall amarok 2, being left with a useless media player and no way to sync it with my portable device...

HELP?
jasreca
Registered Member
nevermind, I did

Code: Select all
sudo aptitude purge amarok amarok-common amarok-utils

and was able to install amarok 1.4 without problems.

But this experience really makes me wonder why on earth would a media player not be able to synchronize playlists with portable devices? Shouldn't that be one of the basic functions? oh well...
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Glad to hear that you found a fix. Enjoy :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
jmadero
Registered Member
This is a pretty major issue in Amarok 2. Most people who have MTP devices want to make playlist to listen to (vs. listening to one artist or cd), doing it on the MTP device takes forever, Amarok 1.4 made it really easy to transfer a playlist to the device but Amarok 2 still doesn't support it, I actually tried going back to Amarok 1.4 because of this but a big bug in it made it so I had to upgrade again to Amarok 2 until I find another program that is better...now I'm stuck booting into W7 to use windows media player to create and move playlists to my MTP device (what a waste :( )

Any plans of adding this soon? I just upgraded to 2.2.2 and I see that it's still not supported
Stecchino
KDE Developer
bertmanphx
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
Will this be included into Amarok, or a script?
markey
KDE Developer
OS
bertmanphx wrote:Hello,
Will this be included into Amarok, or a script?

In Amarok itself (once it's ready).

--
jmadero
Registered Member
Is there any ETA on this? My household has since switched to songbird because of this (only to find out that song bird doesn't support it either in Linux, only a plugin in Windows makes it work -- I'm going to look at that source and see if I can port it over). Not having this I think is a pretty big deal as it forces people with mp3 players to go to alternative players but I know that you guys probably have a long list of to do's on your plate. Thanks for the hard work
markey
KDE Developer
OS
jmadero wrote:Is there any ETA on this? My household has since switched to songbird because of this (only to find out that song bird doesn't support it either in Linux, only a plugin in Windows makes it work -- I'm going to look at that source and see if I can port it over). Not having this I think is a pretty big deal as it forces people with mp3 players to go to alternative players but I know that you guys probably have a long list of to do's on your plate. Thanks for the hard work

No I don't have an ETA for this, sorry.

Personally I don't have issues with it, although I use MTP extensively. I transfer only the albums I like, it's not much of an issue. But this depends a lot on the personal use case :)

--
Quesar
Registered Member
OS
Just to chime in, this is a feature I really need too please. My wife makes up aerobics classes on her mp3 player and really needs playlist support to do this.

For anyone else with this problem, the application gnomad can do this, but the interface isn't as nice as amarok imho.

Thanks!
jmadero
Registered Member
try banshee, you can accomplish playlist support in it, interface is okay
jmadero
Registered Member
gnomad is a no go for a lot of creative mtp's.....so frustrating, especially when you can't even export a playlist from amarok 2 to a folder.....why did the developers abandon 1.4 before all the useful features were ready in 2 :(:(:(
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
As I understand it, 1.4 had become nearly impossible to keep maintained, and they were very excited by the possibilities of a completely new structure. Given that developers have only 24 hours per day, and some of that is consumed by eating, sleeping and earning a living, where do you think they should put their energy?

The future is bright, believe me. :-)

Valorie

PS: Playlists to devices *is* coming.
jmadero
Registered Member
I asked about the ETA on it and the developer said that he had none and couldn't promise anything. When I looked at the code it said the last time it was updated was in January....why would 1.4 be "impossible to maintain", it was basically fully functional, did everything that most people wanted, had a ton of working plugins to do anything else. It worked for me flawlessly until the very last update when it screwed up my MTP player (says completely full when it's only half full). Otherwise, I think asking a media player to do

1. Play music
2. Sync music and playlists to any MTP
3. Have at least a plugin to burn to cd
4. Export a playlist

those to me seem like the basics.....

I'm not trying to bash the developers, was really just interested about the decision to change before it was really "up to par" compared to 1.4. I don't mind the new look it's really the functionality that I'm missing from 1.4 and just wasn't sure why they delved into a completely new look when the old one got them so much support.

I fully support the developers and appreciate all the hard work (this goes to all open source developers). So first and foremost, thank you for the hard work....just curious that's all
Stecchino
KDE Developer
jmadero wrote:I asked about the ETA on it and the developer said that he had none and couldn't promise anything. When I looked at the code it said the last time it was updated was in January....

That branch has already been merged in main a long time ago, I'm now working directly in main so no use to look at that branch any longer.
I wasn't keeping it up to date with my local repository either. In fact I should delete it.

You can expect real playlist syncing with USB mass storage and MTP in 2.3.2.
For now you can manually copy tracks to your player using the copy to actions.