This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

moving to another winchester

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agoniabogar
Registered Member

moving to another winchester

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:20 am
Hi, I am a beginner Amarok user.

I have to move all my music stuff to a new winchester. Does it mean that I will lost all my scores and ratings?

A.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: moving to another winchester

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 am
A new winchester? You mean a new disc I assume.

Backup the $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ folder, it contains the database with all the ratings (depending on your distribution, the folder might also be called $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/ )
If you move your music to the same folder structure as before, you can just copy this back to that location once the move is made and indicate the Music folder in the Amarok settings.

For completeness sake: when asking questions, please always indicate what exact version of the application you are talking about, as well as the KDE version and the Linux distribution you use.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agoniabogar
Registered Member

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 pm
Thank you, Mamarok, and sorry for late answer,
I use:
openSuSE 11.0

Amarok 1.4.10
KDE 3.5.9

The folder structure won't be the same, since I would like to move my complete music folder to a removable usb hard disk. ( I don't have enough space in my home dir).
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, moving to another disc doesn't mean you have to change the folder structure at all. What is the most important is to backup the database though, as all scores and ratings are stored in there. I can't really help more, since I didn't use Amarok 1.4.x in years, sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agoniabogar
Registered Member

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:32 am
Okay, thank you! It works! :-)