This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.3.2 reports zero tracks on CD

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Robertjm
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

Am having a problem with my Amarok v2.3.2 installation under Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

My desktop computer has only one CD drive. When I insert a CD into the machine it shows up under Local Music as "Audio CD" however, it says there are zero tracks on the disc.

If I open up the CD through Ubuntu's Nautilus folder listing I see nine .wav tracks. I can right click on one of them and tell it to open with Amarok, which does add it to the current playlist and it plays just fine.

In doing a cursory google search I've come up with several references to this problem, but they've generally been when someone has two CD/DVD drives in their system. As I said earlier, I only have a single drive.

Robert
Mamarok
Manager
OS
There is apparently a problem with the audiocd kio slave not reading CDs correctly in Ubuntu. Amarok needs Solid and the audiocd KIOslave to read CDs.

Could you install Dolphin and see if it displays the audio CD correctly? If not, the problem is the KIO slave. It seems to work in other distributions though, so this might be K/Ubuntu specific.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Robertjm
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, after I installed Dolphin, and then restarted the computer, it still showed up within Amarok with zero tracks.

Do you know if that problem is within all Ubuntu/Kubuntu distros, or specifically in 10.04?

Robert

Mamarok wrote:There is apparently a problem with the audiocd kio slave not reading CDs correctly in Ubuntu. Amarok needs Solid and the audiocd KIOslave to read CDs.

Could you install Dolphin and see if it displays the audio CD correctly? If not, the problem is the KIO slave. It seems to work in other distributions though, so this might be K/Ubuntu specific.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you run "dolphin audiocd:/" are any tracks available in the file tree shown?

Do you have HAL running?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Robertjm
Registered Member
OS
When running "dolphin audiocd:/ I get tracks just fine. In fact, I get a whole bunch of stuff that I never knew was on it (i.e.: flac, ogg, etc.)

As for HAL I'm not exactly sure how I go abouts checking for that. Ubuntu is deprecating HAL as of v10.04, and replacing with DBUS. However, when I check Synaptic is does show Hal as being installed. But I don't see it under processes.

Robert

bcooksley wrote:If you run "dolphin audiocd:/" are any tracks available in the file tree shown?

Do you have HAL running?
andymerlino
Registered Member
OS
I'm new to KDE 4 and would be interested to know if this issue has been solved. I've exactly the same problem with kubuntu 10.10 I've jsut installed. My audio cd cannot be played in amarok, I can only rip the tracks if I want to listen to it. All config are as they come in the standard distrib.

Please help, I'm a new KDE user and do not understand why a simple thing like listening to a cd seems difficult... Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, Amarok was never intended to listen to CDs in the first place, as the media is very slow, so ripping the CD and playing from your collection seems a logical thing to do.

Can you play the CD with kscd?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
andymerlino
Registered Member
OS
ah ok, didn't know Amarok wasn't supposed to play cd. I've just intalled kscd but I cannot say if it works or not because the application is crashing everytime I try to click on play button :( Error 11 (Segmentation fault)
KDE is fantastic but this problem with audio cd are making me a bit nervous!!

If you have any idea how can I solve the problem, would be happy!!
Thanks
Andrea
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Andy, which exact KDE version are you running?

andymerlino
Registered Member
OS
KDE 4.5.1, included in the kubuntu CD 10.10
andymerlino
Registered Member
OS
My problem is still unsolved. Amarok not only cannot read my audio CD but in the left panel the tracks do not even appear. Same thing for tracks already ripped and existing in mp3 in my external drive.
All external drives are showing "0 tracks"...

If I try to add the tracks using "Add Media" I can see tracks in the window which opens, but when I try to add these to the list, nothing happens. The songs are not imported in the Amarok playlist

Any idea to fix this?

Could updating to KDE 4.5.3 solve the problem? (I'm running KDE 4.5.1 and Amarok 2.3.2

Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please close amarok and do the following:
make sure you have all amarok packages installed, these are: amarok, amarok-common and amarok-utils. All these packages should have the same version number.

Then also check you have the libmysqlclient16 package installed as well. You should then remove the following files and folders:

* $HOME/.kde/share/config/amarokrc
* HOME/.kde/share/config/amarok_homerc
* HOME/.kde/share/config/amarok-appletsrc
* $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok/

Then you should try restarting Amarok.

lifesaver
Registered Member
OS
Hello all,
Amarok has always had serious concerns about the reading of CD audio. And that's unfortunately the ONLY software affected by this problem. Too bad because it's my sense collection manager and player the most powerful, hence my disappointment of not using it because of that. I add that I do not spend on KDE with Kubuntu for that too, and I swapped amarok cons clementine, though less powerful.
In version 1.4, cddb information were not recovered.
In versions 2.x (now 2.4), audio cd tracks are all 0:00 in duration and amarok refuses to move from one track to the next.
I am willing Amarok does not play main role of audio cd, but yet it is still the main support and it is ESSENTIAL that a player worthy of the name can do it!

My question is: Is this only on Ubuntu distributions that this problem exists? I thought I read on the forum Opensuse that the problem was also present on this distribution. And can we solve this major problem?
lifesaver
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Please close amarok and do the following:
make sure you have all amarok packages installed, these are: amarok, amarok-common and amarok-utils. All these packages should have the same version number.

Then also check you have the libmysqlclient16 package installed as well. You should then remove the following files and folders:

* $HOME/.kde/share/config/amarokrc
* HOME/.kde/share/config/amarok_homerc
* HOME/.kde/share/config/amarok-appletsrc
* $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok/

Then you should try restarting Amarok.

Alas I just tested by following this tutorial, and it still does not work ...
But whence can the problem??
lifesaver
Registered Member
OS
I use the Phonon xine, amarok my tracks appear in 2.4 but not impossible to read. Now I can not even play the first track as before, as if there was a missing codec.
I tested the phonon gstreamer and vlc is worse: not only do I still can not read my tracks, but I also crash amarok.