This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok and Skype interference

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
djm
Registered Member
OS

Amarok and Skype interference

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:46 am
If I pause a song in Amarok, then every time Skype makes a notification sound, Amarok starts/stops playing again on its own.

Is there some way that I can prevent this?

I'm running openSUSE 11.4.
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Re: Amarok and Skype interference

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 am
Normally pulseaudio should be doing the sound compositing. If it's not there are 2 solutions:
- Make sure pulseaudio is installed correctly and both the phonon (KDE's audio abstraction) backend and skype are using pulseaudio as the output (can be miss-configured).
- Completely remove all traces of pulseaudio and set up ALSA dmix, which does the sound compositing in the kernel.
djm
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 am
I checked all that. Both Skype and Amarok are using PulseAudio.

It doesn't always happen. I did another test, played a song on Amarok and paused. Then over the new few hours many Skype notifications went by without a glitch. Then I made a Skype call. After the call Amarok would unpause itself on Skype notifications.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 am
It would be a good idea to install debugging symbols, and run Amarok from the console,
Code: Select all
amarok --debug --nofork

Watch what is happening when Amarok unpauses when it should not. That should give you a clue as to where to go with this.