This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok takes hours to load all-in-one playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
I'm on Amarok 2.2.2.

(BTW please don't ask, but instead consider that due to the fact of Amarok being *deeeeply* rooted into the KDE subsystem, running 4.3/4.4 will make a near-full system upgrade necessary, considering in particular that kio5 & friends don't yet exist in e. g. 4.3.X. See, so I'll be happy with my OS stability and instead stick to 2.2.2 for now. :))

Well, it seems to me that because of yours truly coming from Foobar2000 world, the way I'm doing things is rather eccentric ;-)

Like in fb2k, I have a "all in one playlist" with all my relevant stuff on (ca. 25K files), call it "playlist_all.m3u".

Between amarok and fb2k, I found there is a significant difference:

- calling fb2k with a playlist_all.m3u will *NOT* check if all files do actually exist
- calling amarok with a playlist_all.m3u *AND NO* existing .kde/share/apps/amarok/current.xspf will check all files physically on your harddisk(s) if they exist.

That explains why fb2k is finished in 5 minutes and Amarok here for 25K files takes about 3 hours.
No I'm not kidding. These are on NTFS partitions because I need to access them from Windows and Linux, and ext4 from within Windows is a pain, hence this solution. But big amounts of data read off NTFS from within Linux can be slow. VERY SLOW.

Lastly, there is something else I figured:

- HAVE a ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/current.xspf ( > 0 bytes)
- call amarok with -l option

Code: Select all
$ amarok -l otherplaylist.m3u

LOL? Amarok will recheck EVERY frigging file again because it detected a current.xspf in your home directory, even though the -l option should do an OVERRIDE and rigorously overwrite the old playlist contents from current.xspf. But it does not, and you had better go shopping and leave the thing alone for 2-3 hours until everything is back to normal again.
Or alternatively to that, manually delete the current.xspf everytime you want to load a new playlist. Wow, talk about convenient handling! :P
However. this might as well be a bug in my older version which probably has been fixed in the later releases.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sorry, but Amarok 2.2.2 is extremely old, even Squeeze has version 2.3.1 and version 2.4.1 in the squeeze backports repo. I strongly suggest you upgrade your Debian installation. See also http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=amarok

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Stecchino
KDE Developer
hooverphonic wrote:I'm on Amarok 2.2.2.

However. this might as well be a bug in my older version which probably has been fixed in the later releases.

Yup, this was fixed a while ago, though there still is some CPU time required to load a 25k track playlist.
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Stecchino (I had that suspicion)

BTW, if it's not too much of a fuss, could you please point me to the line in Changelog? At quick look I could not find it...

To the other poster: 2.2.2 is old, I know. But that's by design!! 2.3.0 requires a near-full system upgrade in my case AFAICS, and unlike with other builds there is NOTHING in between 2.2.2 and 2.3.0! It's a damn huge gap. TOO huge.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can have a look at the ChangeLog here: http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=amarok.git&a=tree

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, but I have that file offline. ;)

There was a good reason I asked: if you don't know what to search for (= the appropriate words) the changelog is of no use at all. And THAT is my problem.