This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

where are the features from Amarok 1.x?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ddbx
Registered Member
Hello,

First thanks for the work of the developers. I use amarok 4 and I am hapy with. I found myself have some nostalgies of the 3.x amarok release. Here is what would make me extremely hapy:

I remember the first time 4 or 5 years back when i first try the Amarok application from kde 3.x. I was very impressed. Three very important features are missing in the 4.x in my opinion:
- the fade in/out when I move from a song to another. This feature really bluffed me and since then I have stoped to search a music player.
- the blue skin was making Amarok a distinct animal in the kde jungle. Maximising it was making my screen dark blue, it was time to listen good music and push up my HP. It was cool. It is now as insignificant as going to read my mails, go to internet or other. I think it is important.
- the navigation pannel (forward backward pause), is in my opinion not better than an old standard one (with a stop for example. Where is the stop button?). When maximised, I need to travel the mouse from one side of the screen to another to go fwd or bckwd.

Hope this will help you to improve our nice music player.

Regards

Last edited by ddbx on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ddbx
Registered Member
I am in front of my computer, working on some html code. A radio song remember me some mp3 music I have on my computer. I lauch Amarok. The blue screen of amarok appear. I go and search my music in the panel.. i found it.. put it in my playlist and go!
I really like this music, I push the volume of my amplificator, close the windows to not disturb my neighbors, and go back to my screen. I then maximise Amarok (my computer is now a dedicated music player), i remember a lot of songs I want to hear. I found them add them to the playlist. I push the button "next" (next song). Smoothly, a fade in/out go to this new song without brutality. I move from music to music (ennio moriconne, king crimson...), enlightened by the dark blue of my screen, my head and my foots moove in rithm. I enjoy my music. I rediscover it ! :).
google01103
Manager
re: navigation panel, change it: view -> slim toolbar

also for navigation you can use system tray icon, now playing widget and the PlayWolf widget(s)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ddbx
Registered Member
Well... firts hello google01103,

Thanks for the trick. I am not sure I have been well understanded but it is a solution to one of my requests. I suppose I should be happy. I have take time to write this message because it is of importance for me to enance Amarok 2 at least to be as good as Amarok 1. I hope this topic will be read by some project manager team and be discussed for future releases of Amarok 2.

Thanks again

regards

Last edited by ddbx on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
google01103
Manager
fade in/out is in Brainstorm, you should vote and comment viewtopic.php?f=83&t=42328&hilit=fade+amarok

ddbx
Registered Member
Well, the topic ended in 2009. Is it abandonned? Is there a topic on the blue skin?

Regards
ddbx
Registered Member
Forget this topic. Is there a way to download the latest release of the Amarok 1.x series?
ddbx
Registered Member
I have found the sources but it will not compile anymore. Amarok 1.4 is really loss. Does anyone have a solution for installing Amarok 1.4 on an Kubuntu 12.04 LTS?
google01103
Manager
moved to Amarok forum

re: 1.4 on Kubuntu ask there as it is a distro specific request, they may have some KDE3 apps (openSuse does)
you could look at Clementine as it is a fork of the 1.4 series

ddbx
Registered Member
Found the solution for a kubuntu precise (12.04): http://skerit.com/en/computer/amarok-1- ... -pangolin/
If you have a 386 proc, you will need to adapt the tuto. It works