This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Add a stream to Media Source pane?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Turing
Registered Member
OS

Add a stream to Media Source pane?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am
I am wondering about the "natural" way to add my favorite streams to Amarok.

• At the moment each of my favorite streams is in a .pls or .m3u file on my filesystem. If I want ot listen to one of these streams which is not in my playlist any more, I start Dolpin and bring the stream to the amarok playlist via drag&drop.
  • Another option is to keep a playlist of all my streams up to date. If I want to listen to some of these streams I could open this playlist.
Both seems to be not very comfortable.

The most natural solution seems to me: Add all my favorite streams to Internet/CoolStreams in the Media Source pane.
Is this possible at all? How?
Is there a more "natural" way (than adding the favorite streams to CoolStreams) to "bookmark" my favorite streams in Amarok?
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Amarok has playlist support built in. You don't need to open Dolphin.

With this said, it's also possible to edit the Cool Streams list manually; it's usually stored somewhere like /usr/share/kde4/apps/amarok/scripts/radio_station_service/main.js and it should be pretty obvious how to add a new item.

Turing
Registered Member
OS
Thanks.

Editing a file which is replaced on every update seems to be a bad idea to me.

At the moment I maintain a playlist which contains all my favorite streams and is available in Playlists/Saved Playlists/Amarok Database.

However it seems to me somehow inconsistent that some streams (the ones selected by the amarok team) are stored in the cool stream section whereas some streams (my favorite streams) are stored in some playlist. (Are my favorite streams not as cool as the ones selected by the amarok team ;) )
Alas, I don't have a good suggestion how to resolve this apparent inconsistency.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
You should be able to clone the Cool Streams script and change relevant values to create a new one with a different name that has just your chosen streams in, and won't be replaced by updates. (I've never tried this, though.)

turzin
Registered Member
OS
I tried to add my favourites streams to Cool Streams Reloaded editing the main.js script, but when I add a new station in the array, the Cool Streams Reloaded disappear from the list in Internet section in Amarok. If I just change one of the item in the array (suppose I replace CBC Radio 2 with Radio-Canada Espace Musique) it works.

So, I don't know anything about javascript but I don't understand why it doesn't work if I only add one item to the list.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
My guess would be that you made a mistake with the syntax when adding a new item. e.g., did you forget to add a comma to the end of the preceding item?

turzin
Registered Member
OS
Shame on me :<

Every time I tried, I copied the last item without adding the comma...

Thanks Sentynel