This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My Bad - Killed Streaming Audio

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mazmanian
Registered Member

My Bad - Killed Streaming Audio

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 pm
Recent install of Squeeze. Streaming Audio in Amarok worked fine until I made changes to video file type settings to allow rendering of CDROM video files. Whatever change I made resulted in muting Amarok when playing "Cool Streams" Streaming Audio file(s).

Can someone advise me as to what I need to do to fix this?

Squeeze: Kernel: linux image 2.6.32-5-686
KDE4

maz
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: My Bad - Killed Streaming Audio

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am
Check your Systemsettings -> Multimedia -> Phonon settings and test the outputs there, as well as the settings in Pulseaudio if this is used on your system. I also suggest you change the phonon backend to see if that helps. On Squeeze be aware that you use very old versions of all this and you might run into a crash on the phonon backend change. Don't do it in Amarok but do it in the system settings without Amarok running.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dusanic
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 am
Have you otherwise sound?

What says:

Code: Select all
alsamixer

something muted?
mazmanian
Registered Member

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm
mamarok
Not sure I follow.
Check your Systemsettings -> Multimedia ->Phonon settings and test the outputs there,...

Not to be obtuse, but I don't know how to locate "Phonon Settings". Can you narrow a search down for me so I can 'cat' it to give you what you're asking for?

I caused the problem with Amarok while making changes to "file types". I.e., Right clilck on CDROM file => Properties => Properties for m01.avi. I made several changes to several files, that is, I changed the order in which the preferred file type would be processed by which application. If you could inform me as to which file type Amarok uses, I might be able to figure out which one I changed in error.

maz

dusanic:
Yes,I have sound for all other devices and apps.

Card: Intel 82801DB-ICH4                                F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Analog Devices AD1981B                            F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item:                                                   Esc: Exit               

Card: Intel 82801DB-ICH4                                F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Analog Devices AD1981B                            F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: Master [dB gain: -10.50, -10.50]                  Esc: Exit               │
│       ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐              ┌──┐     ┌──┐              ┌──┐       │
│       │  │     │  │     │  │              │  │     │  │              │  │       >
│       │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│              │▒▒│     │  │              │▒▒│       >
│       │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│              │▒▒│     │  │              │▒▒│       >
│       ├──┤     ├──┤     ├──┤     ┌──┐     ├──┤     ├──┤     ┌──┐     ├──┤       │
│       │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │MM│     │OO│     │MM│     │MM│     │OO│       │
│       └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘       │
│      77<>77     81     71<>71            81<>81    0<>0             81<>81      │
│    < Master >Master M Headphon Headphon   PCM      Line   Line Jac    CD       

maz

Last edited by mazmanian on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusanic
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm
The Phonon settings are in the section Backend:

Check your Systemsettings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Backend. There you can change it normally. But I do not know what is actually used under Squeeze. On my Sid system I have GStreamer and VLC as backends I can switch when I want.

Edit: Now I see what Mamarok meant at the beginning. When you are in the Phonon section, you can actually see all possible outputs. You have to choose your sound card or test any others if available from the output section.
mazmanian
Registered Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:37 am
dusanic wrote:The Phonon settings are in the section Backend:

Check your Systemsettings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Backend. There you can change it normally. But I do not know what is actually used under Squeeze. On my Sid system I have GStreamer and VLC as backends I can switch when I want.

Edit: Now I see what Mamarok meant at the beginning. When you are in the Phonon section, you can actually see all possible outputs. You have to choose your sound card or test any others if available from the output section.

dusanic
Let me see if I've got this straight.
Start Menu => Settings => System Settings +> Multimedia
Window = "Multimedia - System Settings"
Sound and Video Configuration
Device Preference
List: Audio Output
Notifications
Music
Video
Communication
Games
Accessibility

Audio Capture
Communication
Accessibility

Default Output Device Preference
Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B (intel 82801B-ICH4)
Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B (intel 82801B-ICH4 - IEC958)
Jack Audio Connection Kit

[Test] Button requests "Play a Test Sound on the Selected Device".
I'd try to select Amarok. But it isn't apparent as an option.
There is a [Default] button at bottom. Would selecting this return all my settings to the way they were before I goofed?

[Backend Button]

Backend
xine ... Phonon Xine backend http://www.xineq.de/

Option buttons at bottom of window include: [Help] [Defaults] with [Reset] and [Apply] buttons greyed-out.

I apologize for appearing to be so dim. It's just that I've never had to deal with these settings before. It's all new to me.

maz
dusanic
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 am
You got it, you are in the right section. Did you hear any sound while testing?

You could of course change it to default or try all other possibilities by making the one you choose to appear first on the list.

But I have also the feeling I am shooting in the dark. Again, have you sound at all? What is your sound card?

lspci | grep -i audio

Maybe try to start Amarok from the terminal and then try to play your stream and look at the terminal output for any errors.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:06 pm
Since you provided the alsamixer output it already shows a problem, as you have three entries muted, please make sure you have NOTHING muted there.
There is of course no Amarok entry in the phonon settings, as Amarok is just using Phonon for sound output, not the other way round.. If you have sound in the various tests there Amarok should work. But since you have the "Line", "Line Jack" and "Headphone" channels muted in alsamixer there is no surprise you run into problems.
Once all your phonon output works, check that you also have no muted channels in KMix, which can be another source of problems.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mazmanian
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Since you provided the alsamixer output it already shows a problem, as you have three entries muted, please make sure you have NOTHING muted there.

I cranked up the 'Master' to 77<>74, and the Line to 48<>48. Headphone Jack Sense and Line Jack Sense are [Off]. No joy.

There is of course no Amarok entry in the phonon settings, as Amarok is just using Phonon for sound output, not the other way round.. If you have sound in the various tests there Amarok should work. But since you have the "Line", "Line Jack" and "Headphone" channels muted in alsamixer there is no surprise you run into problems.
Once all your phonon output works, check that you also have no muted channels in KMix, which can be another source of problems.

I had no muted channels in KMix.

I uninstalled/reinstalled Amarok and recaptured my playlist/stream (SKY-FM Mostly Classical). Works fine again.

Thanks for all your helpful tips suggestions.

maz