This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.6 Does not display transcode option

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PhotoNeil
Registered Member
OS
(I originally posted this to the wrong forum- my apologies)

Installed Amarok 2.6 to fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. Installed kubuntu-restricted-extras. Amarok plays m4a and mp3 files. I am trying to copy m4a files into a new collection as mp3. My Config Local Collection Transcode Setting is set to "Ask Before Each Transfer".

The Transcode options window never displays when "Copy to Collection" is initiated.

I had this working in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but it crashed every 20 tracks or less, making it unusable. Tried Kubuntu to fix that problem. The stock Amarok 2.5 installed with 12.04.1 LTS would not display m4A files from the source folders so I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.6 after seeing a comment in a bug report that that problem was fixed in 2.6. I can't win here

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil
google01103
Manager
do you have ffmpeg installed? in *buntu this is probably libav-tools & libavcodec53 & maybe some others, as I'm not *buntu conversant

does the Transcode options window if you try to transcode mp3's?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

PhotoNeil
Registered Member
OS
I have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg(0,10,13-1) installed, which I assume is packaged with Kubuntu Amarok 2.6. I didn;t install it.

It does NOT display the options window when copying a single mp3 file.

Another quirk, just for completeness.... this is not an issue with me. Files in the target collection folder are NOT overwritten even if "Overwrite Destination" is checked on the copy setup window,

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I will get some more ideas. Or do I need a different plug-in than the stock one I have now?
google01103
Manager
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is not the same as libav-tools & libavcodec53

PhotoNeil
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is not the same as libav-tools & libavcodec53

I don't get a hit on those packages in the software center, nor on simply "libav". So I don't know what I'm looking for here.
google01103
Manager
fyi - I'm just guessing this could be your problem and that if so these are maybe the packages

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libavcodec53
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libav-tools

PhotoNeil
Registered Member
OS
OK, those two packages got the options window displayed, but the MP3 option is disabled.

I now have your suggested packages installed, plus the packages suggested on the Kubuntu/Amorak download page:

libxine1-ffmpeg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

What am I missing?
PhotoNeil
Registered Member
OS
I just answered that last question....

Installing libavcodec53 takes out the previously installed libavcodec-extra-53 and disables the MP3 option. I needed to re-install libavcodec-extra-53.