This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature requests topic

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
petentici
Registered Member

Feature requests topic

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm
Would it be a bad idea to have a separate, distinctive topic for feature requests? Presumably for the non-geeks who are just using Amarok (ie with Kubuntu as me) and would just like to post a feature wish/request and see if it will be added to (any) of the forthcoming releases?
petentici
Registered Member

Re: Feature requests topic

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 pm
My first feature request would be the display of internet radio station & track information. I use Amarok mainly for listening to various internet radio streams (such as Bluemars and di.fm streams) and Amarok does not display any of the information as does Winamp in Windows environment.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 pm
Yes, it is bad, as feature request do not belong to the forum, nor do bug reports. Please do make both to http://bugs.kde.org, that is where those belong.

FWIW: What Amarok displays when you play radio streams depends on what and how the radio stream sends data and on your phonon backend.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dummytester
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 pm
Are you sure that features go in bugs.kde.com? The label suggests that it is for bugs.

Perusing the bugs.kde.com for Amarok, I find a very wide array of components and none for the user interface in general. The descriptions include "wishes" but there seems to be no enhancement subcategory (common in issue trackers) and the list labels them all as "bugs" (see, for example https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?compon ... _id=317616).

Note also that it doesn't seem to receive a lot of attention other than from developers, which is not surprising given that there are literally dozens of components and it seems pretty bug-focused.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to perhaps include a feature request in bugs.kde.com but also start a thread here when you do, so that it can receive more input from users? Seems best to cross-reference them.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 pm
I am 100% sure, since I am part of the Amarok Team since several years. Bugzilla has an bug type called wishlist, we use that for feature requests since always :) Please have a look there, your request might already have been made.
And don't worry, we have the complete bug tracker in our focus, and it is regularly worked upon, there just is a priority list on which the developers do work so not everything is implemented as fast as some might want it.
Ultimately, not all feature requests cant be granted anyway, as that would make Amarok an operation system in its own right, probably steering the ISS and brewing coffee with its left hand as well ;)
option
In short: no, we are not going to change anything, the way the bug tracker works with the wishlist type is perfectly suitable as it is and again: please do NOT make feature requests in the forum, it will be totally ignored by the developers here.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 pm
Mamarok wrote:In short: no, we are not going to change anything, the way the bug tracker works with the wishlist type is perfectly suitable as it is and again: please do NOT make feature requests in the forum, it will be totally ignored by the developers here.

I fully agree with this workflow (and if I didn't, nobody would care anyway... ;-), still, a forum is more populated place than the bug tracker. For me it's the right place to discuss a wishlist item and bugs (to a lesser extent), gather information and opinions and then write it down to the bug tracker.