This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Limit dynamic playlist input

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Limit dynamic playlist input

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:21 pm
Hello!

I think it would be nice to be able to limit the set from which a dynamic playlist chooses new tracks to the ones displayed in the collection.

Use case example:

I have a dynamic playlist which selects just random tracks. I get a bunch of new tracks into my collection and want to listen to them, randomly. I would filter the collection to "added: today", press a tiny button which activated this feature and repopulate the playlist.

Or I'm in the mood for some prog metal stuff, but don't know which band I want. I take the same random playlist, filter the collection "genre:"progressive metal" and repopulate (or delete remaining items, maybe leave some there to listen to...).

Both use cases could be achieved by creating a new dynamic playlist, but this is - for me - too much of an effort for a sudden musical mood I'm in. :-)

Ideas for GUI implementation:
a) A toggle button or a context menu item at the collection view.
b) A dynamic playlist condition like "is in filtered collection view".

What do you think about that? I hope I was able to get the idea across.

Kind Regards!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Limit dynamic playlist input

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:52 pm
How about using the Automatic Playlist Generator for that instead?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:19 pm
I don't see how the playlist generator addresses that.

As far as I see, the playlist generator works the same like dynamic playlist, just that it's static.

I could always filter the collection, select everything, replace playlist and change to random play. Problem is that sometimes (like playcount:0) the dynamic playlist condition changes while playing. Random allows duplicates (multiple ramdom hits on one track), playcount:0 does not.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:01 pm
Sorry, misread your explanation, I thought you want to limit the length of the playlist.

You can always search the Collection Browser for a specific genre, the return key will then automatically add all the found stuff to the playlist.

Does this answer your question?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:46 pm
I'm afraid not.

As I said, there a some ways to achieve what I want but it's still a couple of clicks. I query the selection, return adds the tracks to the playlist. I still need to select random tracks progression, disable dynamic playlist (random tracks does not seem to work a dynamic playlist enabled). To return to my dynamic playlist, I need to change progression, enable dynamic playlist and repopulate.

My idea is a single toggle switch that tells a dynamic playlist to take it's tracks from the filtered collection only!