This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Store statistics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Store statistics

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am
Hello,

How can I store statistics data (ex. play count) in mp3 files?
venquessa
Registered Member
OS

Re: Store statistics

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:00 pm
This would be great as storing them in the database is unreliable as Amarok has a bad habbit of dumping the contents of the database if you MP3s don't show up where it expects them.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm
"Dumping contents of database"? I haven't heard that in a while, are you sure you use a recent Amarok 2.8?

Did you enable the "Save statistics to file" option? If that is active, all further changes will be stored in the file.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:21 pm
Did you enable the "Save statistics to file" option? If that is active, all further changes will be stored in the file.

Definitely I enabled it but Amarok doesn't store them correctly because I can see that Amarok stores Starring while it doesn’t store play count!
I'm using: Amarok Version 2.7.1 with KDE 4.10.5
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:28 pm
The I strongly suggest you upgrade and test again with 2.8 first, your 2.7.1 version is very far away from it in terms of number of changes.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am
The I strongly suggest you upgrade and test again with 2.8 first, your 2.7.1 version is very far away from it in terms of number of changes.

I'm using Ubuntu; is there any PPA to upgrade to it?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 am
Yes, of course, please check here: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/amarok-2.8

BTW, your forum information says you are running Opensuse, you should update that information.

mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 am
BTW, your forum information says you are running Opensuse, you should update that information.

Nop, I'm using Mint (built from Ubuntu)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am
Oh, sorry, my bad, it looks a bit like the Opensuse logo

venquessa
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 am
Hi mamarok,

Yes, it has deleted my entire collection database repeatedly. I've had terrible troubles with it. Granted I only upgraded a few days ago, but again my collection was gone.

I believe I have had several problems all due to my MP3s being on an external USB drive that isn't always present when I boot up. If I have had it scanned as a collection and amarok starts up, it seems to think I now have no MP3s and updates the collection to show this fact. Of course when rescanned my ratings etc. are gone (empty statistics table).

The other issue was adding ratings etc to the autodetected collection that appears when KDE identifies the external device, amarok scans it and shows it as a collection. I was using this for a few months, rating my tracks, until one night I tried to sort by rating to copy the best to my car MP3 USB key and... oh, no ratings. I checked the database and I had no tracks and no statistics. I mounted the device on a specific folder and rescanned that into the collection and tried to add most of the important ratings. Next time I booted the device was not mounted automatically and thus was empty, amarok apparently updated the collection to match!

I'm going to give it one more chance. I have disabled "Watch folders for changes" which might stop it deleting the collection and I will look for the "Store in file" options.

I'm just wondering if my use case is practical with Amarok as this is not a new problem for me and amarok. I listen to my entire collection in one playlist on random. I flick through tracks until I find something I want to listen to, then I rate that track. I can then sort by rating to just listen to my rated music, or copy it to other devices and USB keys.

Other than deleting the collection, I have problems with having to delete the current playlist out of the .kde4/ folder as amarok sometimes won't start if I don't.

Anyway as I said I only upgraded recently from a 7 month old version, so I'll see how I get on.
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Re: Store statistics  Topic is solved

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 am

This issue fixed after upgrading Amarok 2.8
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 pm
venquessa wrote:Yes, it has deleted my entire collection database repeatedly. I've had terrible troubles with it. Granted I only upgraded a few days ago, but again my collection was gone.

I've made the same experience various times too. Admittedly I haven't had any data loss issues for quite some time (~ 1 year) but I still don't really trust Amarok to store any viable information. Having a backup around is always good though some data loss issues I had where more of a slow creeping kind.