This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wrong sorting in collection browser. Bug?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kai
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I discovered a problem with the sorting of my collection.

I have 2 mp3-albums, tagged as follows:

No. 1: 10 tracks
--------------------
Each track:
Artist = "The House Of Love"
Album = "The House Of Love"
Album Artist = "The House Of Love"
Year = 1988
Title = ...

No. 2: 12 tracks
--------------------
Each track:
Year = 1990
Title = ...

Each track has a different Title. Artist, Album and Album Artist are the same for all tracks of the 2 albums. But the year is different.

I configured the sort options of my collection as follows:
First Level = Album Artist
Second Level = Album
Third Level = none
I also activated the options: "Show Years" and "Show Track Numbers"

The 2 mp3 albums are display as follows in my collection browser what I supposed to be wrong:
Code: Select all
The House Of Love
   1988 - The House Of Love
       1 - Christine
       1 - Hannah
       2 - Hope
       2 - Shine On

So the 2 albums get mixed despite the fact that they have a different year.

I would expect this:
Code: Select all
The House Of Love
 1988 - The House Of Love
     track 1
     track 10

1990 - The House Of Love
    track 1
    track 12

So the problem is, that the 2 albums are different, because they have a different year but the 2 albums get mixed and are displayed as one album with one year number for both albums. Both albums are well tagged.

Is that a bug or wanted?

Cheers, Kai

Last edited by Kai on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which exact Amarok version is this about?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Kai
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Which exact Amarok version is this about?

Sorry, I forgot:
Amarok 2.8.0-19.14 (x86_64) from Packman-Essentials repo.
(and openSUSE 13.1 / KDE 4.12)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just weird I can't reproduce this here at all. Could you please check all those tags again with a 3rd-party tagger like kid3 or easytag or the like, then rescan your collection, restart Amarok and see if this persists?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Kai
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Just weird I can't reproduce this here at all. Could you please check all those tags again with a 3rd-party tagger like kid3 or easytag or the like, then rescan your collection, restart Amarok and see if this persists?

OK, I made a little screencast about the issues. I can always reproduce everything. I created some empty mp3-files (touch file.mp3) without any MPEG data. Then i tagged all files based on the following scheme with tagwriter and verified the tags with kid3. Then I put these 2 albums (each with 2 tracks) in an empty Amarok collection (I removed all Amarok config files in my home before):

http://youtu.be/pVtL2dFY5IE

Album1 tracks:
Title = "something..."
Year = 1988

Album2 track:
Title = "something..."
Year = 1990

In my screencast I forgot to mention that the text encoding is UTF-8 for all tag fields and that the id3 tag version is "ID3v2.4" based on taglib-1.9.1-72.9.

BTW, I used empty files, created with touch. I have the same issues when using real mp3-files with real MPEG frames in it. That makes no difference. Amarok will always mix the files in the collection browser when the artist, album artist and album are the same but with a different year.

Should I write a bug report or can you help me in another direction?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Hm, we have seen problems before with taglib 1.9.1, might be worth to use the previous release to see if this is related.

As I said: I tried to reproduce this here and I can't, using Amarok v2.8.0-121-g0703d96

Kai
Registered Member
OS
I hope you're not an english teacher because of my poor english :-)

Mamarok wrote:Hm, we have seen problems before with taglib 1.9.1, might be worth to use the previous release to see if this is related.

I followed your advice, so I just did 3 other tests:

I repeated everything in my screencast with one modification:
This time I switched over to Id3v2.3 based on libid3tag0 library when tagging the files with kid3 (I disabled the taglib plugin in kid3). So in this test I didn't used taglib library for setting the id3 tags. Amarok's behavior was the same like in the screencast, even with Id3v2.3 tagged files. The issue is, that Amarok itself uses the taglib library for dealing with id3-tags, which is still on my system in version 1.9.x. So I did another test without using taglib 1.9.x..

Amarok depends on taglib. So I removed taglib 1.9.x from my system and I switched back to taglib-1.8-11.1 from openSUSE Build Service (OSS).
I created empty mp3-files again and I tagged new created files like described above with kid3 (Id3v2.3). Instead of applying UTF-8 text encoding to the files I applied ISO-8859-1 encoding to the tag fields. Loading these files into an empty collection still produces the same behavior like above or in my screencast: Again mixed entries in collection browser. Both albums are displayed as one album with mixed tracks.
It's always the same, the files get mixed in the collection browser.
I suppose there is a bug in the collection browser. It's seems not related to taglib 1.9.x

Finally a last test: I stepped back from Amarok 2.8.0-19.14 (from Packman) to Amarok 2.8.0-4.2.1 from openSUSE OBS (openSUSE 13.1). The result was the same. That means, that it is not a problem with Amarok because of the packman repo.

You still think it's a taglib issue?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Very strange, I think we need to have some advice form a developer now. Could you please file a bug report with all this information?