This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What's the future of amarok?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Marchin_
Registered Member

What's the future of amarok?

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 pm
It's been more than a year ago since last major update and i would like to know whats the future is the music player. Is the project abandoned?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: What's the future of amarok?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:28 am
No, not abandoned at all, but we have a lot of real life work to do, and there currently is one tricky release blocker that prevents us from doing the next release.

Current git is 380 commits further than 2.8, so there definitely is code to publish with a lot of solved bugs, new features and changes, but with a major bug blocking the release there is little we can do than find the developers with enough time to solve that beast so the release can be made.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Thaodan
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 am
any news on this? would like to see amarok with with qt5
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am
Thaodan wrote:any news on this? would like to see amarok with with qt5

You are welcome to give a hand, as there is a lot of work to do, not only making it compile with Qt5, but all the plasma widgets have to be migrated to Plasma 5 as well, else it wouldn't make much sense. With the thin stretched manpower we have currently this will take some time...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sjaaksken
Registered Member

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 am
I'm excited to hear that there's a new version under way.
Thanks to the team for creating this great media player.

Too bad I don't have any developer skills.
gowikel
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 31, 2015 11:10 am
Mamarok wrote:
Thaodan wrote:any news on this? would like to see amarok with with qt5

You are welcome to give a hand, as there is a lot of work to do, not only making it compile with Qt5, but all the plasma widgets have to be migrated to Plasma 5 as well, else it wouldn't make much sense. With the thin stretched manpower we have currently this will take some time...

I'm new to KDE technology, but I want to help building amarok (and in future, who knows, another kde programs). I am studying computer engineering (currently I am in my last year).

So, can you tell me, how to start?

Thank you in advance.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun May 31, 2015 11:15 am
We don't really need help with building Amarok, that is something rather simple for somebody who is in computer science. With the very detailed instructions we have, even users can do it: http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2009/09/co ... l-summary/

If you want to get involved in the Amarok project, please have a look at the links on this page: http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Join

There is quite a bit to read, but it helps to get started with development.

Caveat: we have started to port Amarok to Qt5 and the KDE frameworks and Plasma5, so maybe before starting you should subscribe to the amarok-devel@kde.org mailing list, introduce yourself and your skills so we can point you in the right direction.

gowikel
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am
Thanks Mamarok, I will check the links and subscribe to amarok-devel list.
eemantsal
Registered Member
OS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:14 pm
Any news on this? I haven't ever been a heavy user of Amarok, but it was a great program with lots of features that, not for every day, for most of us, but we loved to have them and use from time to time -I remember podcast subscriptions, the worldwide radios plugin, "bookmarks" for music fragments, etc-. All that stuff sure was too much for most of our demands to a music player, and I always had other players as my principal ones, but now that Amarok seems missing I really miss it.
Have been significative advances this long year after the las comment? Is Amarok still being developed or is there any substitute in the oven?

Cheers.