This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Artist" or "Album Artist" tag? How to organize collection?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sergey294511
Registered Member
Hello! I have a large collection of music (~3000 tracks). It mostly consists of completely downloaded artists' discographies, but in this collection there are also two groups of tracks which are not created by the same Artist. Just some tracks I like, for which downloading the whole Album/Artist would be an overkill. I used to sort them like this: for one group I set "Album Artist" as "Other tracks" and "Artist" is individual for each track. If I do so, it looks like this: (http://i.imgur.com/WSkjBpg.png). It looks great, but if I copy my collection to my Android mobile phone, it becomes a bit messed, because all the players (I checked Exaile, Rhythmbox, Clementine, Banshee, PowerAmp (on Android, the one I use)) prefer "Artist", so I do not get my "Other tracks" category, but I get 7 "Artist" categories, in which there are only 1-2 tracks. Not comfortable.
So I tried changing the situation. In Amarok I tried to make it sort by "Artist" (http://i.imgur.com/aYbO2pO.png). Now my Amarok collection also looks messed, so I set "Artist" as "Other tracks" for these tracks, and "Album Artist" as real artist name. Now it looks ugly: (http://i.imgur.com/EECaxkO.png).
I also have a category of tracks called "Nightcore". These are remixes made by different people, but in the same genre and style. So, it is logical to put them in the same category and the same album. But they also get messed.
It seems like
> For one group I set "Album Artist" as "Other tracks" and "Artist" is individual for each track.
Is an ideal solution, as Amarok displays everything fine, but the problem is that I cannot use my collection with other players. And if I decide to set "Album Artist"="Artist"="Other tracks" I will lose the possibility of fetching lyrics automatically... Could you please recommend me what to do?
Thank you.
P.S. For all the other tracks there is no such problem, because "Artist"=="Album Artist".
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, the tag "Artist" is meant for the individual track, and the "Album Artist" is only used if the album is not a compilation, like when there is only one Artist in the Album.
Amarok classifies the tracks or albums without the "AlbumArtist" tag as being compilations, in the Various Artists section.

In other words: do not use the "AlbumArtist" tag if you have a compilation, and do not use those two artist tags for anything else. "Other Tracks" (bad translation maybe?) is not a tag I know of, care to explain?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sergey294511
Registered Member
Thank You for Your answer!
"Other Tracks" was a string which I used to put into "Album Artist" tag for all the tracks in this compilation.
So, if I understood you correctly, that's how compilation should be organized: individual artist name in "Artist" tag, nothing in "AlbumArtist" tag.
If I do so, that's what I get: all these tracks are shown in my collection separately, because they still have "Artist" tag and it is individual for each track. Seems like I am doing something wrong...
Actually, what I want to have is to have this compilation displayed separately from all other Artists (for example, like this: "Rammstein, Nightwish, Others") both in Amarok (which filters tracks by "AlbumArtist") and in any other player (which prefer "Artist").
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Mind you, of course you need to set the album tag correctly, and you can change the filter in the Collection Browser to Album, instead of AlbumArtist which is default at the first level.
Just a hint: when you change multiple tags at once, you should do a collection update, and eventually restart Amarok, as there is a nasty caching bug in the Collection Browser that sometimes causes the display not to update correctly.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sergey294511
Registered Member
Thank you! I finally understood everything. Problem was in that I didn't know the difference between Artist and AlbumArtist. Everything is Ok now)