This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

mp3 wrong track duration crashes amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pedromartinez
Registered Member
The following problem leads my (beloved) amarok to crash:
The length/duration of many mp3s (9000+) are incorrectly read by amarok.
They are usually reported as being 4 times longer than they actually are.
Apart from that already annoying bug, the most serious problem comes with the fact that whenever I click in the play bar (?) anywhere outside the range of the song's real length, amarok crashes.

I have read all the posts out there on this issue and have done what they suggest, mainly use Mp3diag or:
Code: Select all
find -type f -name "*.mp3" -exec vbrfix {} {} \;

The problem is that if any of those solutions has actually fixed the VBR problem, amarok's database is not being updated and keeps reporting wrong lengths.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
google01103
Manager
have you tried a full rescan settings -> configure amarok -> local collection -> full rescan, other than Recently Added Albums I'm not sure if there might be any adverse effects with statistics and meta data

re: crashing have you tried switching phonon backends?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

pedromartinez
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:have you tried a full rescan settings -> configure amarok -> local collection -> full rescan, other than Recently Added Albums I'm not sure if there might be any adverse effects with statistics and meta data

At least 5 times.
A few minutes ago, I even deleted every amarok configuration file and directory and started all over.
Nothing.

google01103 wrote:re: crashing have you tried switching phonon backends?

I only have gstreamer as an option. Can I enable more?

EDIT: I installed phono-vlc and switched.
Nothing still
google01103
Manager
there is a phonon-backend-vlc (at least that's what it is called in openSUSE), once installed
you can change it in settings -> configure Amarok -> Playback -> Configure Phonon -> Backend, you then need to restart Amarok

note: there is not an equalizer for it

pedromartinez
Registered Member
Alas, nothing changed. :-\
Mamarok
Manager
OS
First of all: which exact Amarok version and KDE version is this about? Which distribution?
Also, since it worked before: what did you change?
And finally, since you experience a crash: please make a bug report with a backtrace on http://bugs.kde.org, please see https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tu ... sh_reports for more details on how to get a valid backtrace.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pedromartinez
Registered Member
First of all, thanks to both for helping out and thanks for the amazing work you do in the forum and for kde!!!!!

That said:
Kubuntu 14.10
KDE 4.14.1
Amarok 2.80

It is not that it did work before. The problem is that I converted my whole jazz library from flac to mp3 (with soundkonverter) to make room in my hard drive and the resulting mp3s are the ones that are presenting these issues.
The curious thing is that both smplayer amd and vlc report correct lengths in the converted files.
google01103
Manager
once again try the VLC phonon backend and let us know

pedromartinez
Registered Member
I am using the vlc backend right now. I have restarted the system. Rescanned.... but nothing.

EDIT:
I was wrong: Switching to VLC solved the problem !!!!!!!!
I am still left with the wrong length issue, but now it doesn't crash anymore when I click beyond the real length of the song; it just goes on to the next song in the playlist.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
google01103
Manager
fyi I can't replicate your issue using soundKonverter and doing mp3 (320bps) to flac to mp3 (320bps both constant and average) using the lame plugin - which plugin and what mp3 parameters did you use?

pedromartinez
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:fyi I can't replicate your issue using soundKonverter and doing mp3 (320bps) to flac to mp3 (320bps both constant and average) using the lame plugin - which plugin and what mp3 parameters did you use?

Sorry. My bad: I was using a home made bash script / service menu; basically:
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -y -i "$a" -qscale:a 0.1 "${a[@]/%flac/mp3}"

I have just tested the script and the problem lies there indeed. I converted the same flac with soundkonverter and it does the job well. I'll have to correct my script.