This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wkipedia in the context area problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dringdal
Registered Member
Hi,

I use the Wikipedia aplet in Amarok, and it has worked nice, but suddenly it does not search for artist etc. My first thought was that I had changed some of the settings, but it seems right. I have checked that Wikipedia has an entry of the artists I'm playing, and my internet connection is ok.

Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve this problem?

Dag R
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Suddenly, as in: what did you change before that happened?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dringdal
Registered Member
I'm not sure. I was fiddeling with the different settings, but I cannot remember if I made any changes than uncheck the services for internet streams. It seems that the Wikipedia aplet is not connected to the net at all.

Dag
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't reproduce this on current git, might well be a problem on your side. Are you behind a firewall?
Please also be more precise on your exact Amarok version, KDE release version and distribution.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dringdal
Registered Member
Hi again, I run Kubuntu 15.04 with KDE 5.2.2. Amarok version is 2.8.0. There is a firewall in KDE, but for programs which is part of the KDE suit, this shouldn't be a problem, or is it?

Dag R
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No, that shouldn't be a problem, I was thinking about a corporate firewall that tend to be rather restrictive.

But your problem is rather easy to explain: you are running Amarok 2.8, which is still relying on kdelibs and Qt4.x, on plasma5, so don't be astonished if the plasma widgets in Amarok don't work as expected. Might be worth to report this as a bug against plasma5, as backward compatibility should be ensured.

dringdal
Registered Member
Thanx for your quick answer. Plasma 5 Qt KDE libs. It's a little over mye head. Can I get a newer version of Amarok which has solved the problems, or is the problem with QT or Plasma 5? Or is it KDE?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Likely with Plasma5, but that the plasma devs can answer better than I can.

Currently Amarok is not ported to Qt5 yet, but it is work in progress.

jfarrar
Registered Member
Having the same problem with KDE 4.14.9 running qt4.8.6-30 on a Fedora based system.

John F.

jfarrar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Interesting, I can't reproduce this here at all, using Kubuntu 14.10 with KDE 4.14.2 and Amarok from current git. Maybe already solved in the upcoming Amarok 2.9, then

pskde
Registered Member
I also have this problem with Kubuntu 14.04, amarok 2.8.
Found this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349313

Peter
jfarrar
Registered Member
Working again in 2.8.0-17 just released on Fedora.

John F.

jfarrar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.