This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok skips "The" in "The Amygdaloids"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pedromartinez
Registered Member
In my amarok's music collection panel (I don't know it's technical name), artists are sorted alphabetically, but Amarok skips the "The" section of the Artist (The Yardbirds, The Velvet Underground, etc.).
Is there a way to turn that off and make it part of the actual name?
Thanks in advance.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which exact version of Amarok do you use? That was solved ages ago to my knowledge, and shouldn't happen since version 2.6 at least.
I see no problems in either the Collection Browser or the Playlist here in current git master, soon to be released as version 2.9.
Also please check if your ID3 tags are set correctly for these tracks, so far I have gone through nearly all my tracks from bands called "The..." and the article is never skipped.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pedromartinez
Registered Member
I am using 2.8.0 and the tags are correct.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just to make sure: you did write the tags as "The Amygdaloids", not as "Amygdaloids, The", didn't you?
Could you please also check which ID3 version your tags are made with? Amarok uses ID3v2.3 at least, if the tags are version 1.x or prior to 2.3 that might be a problem. You can check that with any mass tagger, kid3 or easytag should do the trick.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pedromartinez
Registered Member
Check and check.
Tags are ID3v2.4.0.
They are correctly tagged as The Amygdaloids, etc.

Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, from what I can see your collection browser does display those correctly, so where is the problem?
If you want those to be displayed all under T that would just be plain wrong, though.

pedromartinez
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:If you want those to be displayed all under T that would just be plain wrong, though.

:o That's precisely what I wanted. I evidently mispresented the problem.
Why would it be plain wrong?
My brain is terribly slow, and it does not like being asked to calculate the starting letter of the second word of a band's name. (I am SouthAmerican, after all, which not olny means that English is not my first language, but also that I am genetically inclined to avoiding hard work!)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It is normal that the bands are not sorted under the letter T, but under the first letter of the actual name, this is a convention used in the music industry since as long as I can think of. If you go to a record store, you will not find the Beatles under T, but under B.
So not a bug, but a normal behavior.

pedromartinez
Registered Member
I'll take your answer as valid (but only for the North, since it does not apply in my country ;D ).
Anyway, can't it be tweaked?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No, sadly not, not without changing the code.

pedromartinez
Registered Member
Thanks for your patience!