This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Artists ordered by surname

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
federicod
Registered Member

Artists ordered by surname

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm
Hi!

I have a small problem with the ordering my (large) local collection.

Right now Artists are ordered by the first letter of their name, not their surname, so that Miles Davis is under M, not D. This is ok for bands, but not for individual artists. I have tons of cds by lesser known jazz players, for instance, and sometimes I myself have a hard time finding the artist I'm looking for.

Any ideas how to fix this? Sorry if there's an obvious solution to this I could not find out

Thanks,
federico
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Artists ordered by surname

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:11 pm
Hi,

as far as I know, it's currently not possible in Amarok. However Amarok follows the hints given by other software for the way to sort. For instance, my father uses iTunes and there is a field "order as" where he writes for instance "Davis, Miles". Amarok kept this way of ordering.

So I would recommend you to use a tagger (EasyTag, or whatever you like) to do this.

It could be however a good idea to deal with this within Amarok.
federicod
Registered Member

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm
ochurlaud wrote:Hi,

as far as I know, it's currently not possible in Amarok. However Amarok follows the hints given by other software for the way to sort. For instance, my father uses iTunes and there is a field "order as" where he writes for instance "Davis, Miles". Amarok kept this way of ordering.

So I would recommend you to use a tagger (EasyTag, or whatever you like) to do this.

It could be however a good idea to deal with this within Amarok.

thanks for your reply. Indeed, I would prefer not to use a tagger and let my music player do the ordering. Maybe a future release could include this feature?
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:51 pm
Open a ticket for it on the bugzilla (if there is not already one).

I can't promess more for now...
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm
It all depends on how you tagged it, if you want to have it by the family name, then you need to put this first.

But when it comes to find artists, just entering Davis in the search field should show up Miles in the results any time, it certainly does for me :) The search in the Collection Browser is a full text search on all the fields, so this should just work.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
federicod
Registered Member

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:04 pm
Mamarok wrote:It all depends on how you tagged it, if you want to have it by the family name, then you need to put this first.

But when it comes to find artists, just entering Davis in the search field should show up Miles in the results any time, it certainly does for me :) The search in the Collection Browser is a full text search on all the fields, so this should just work.

yes, that's works fine, true. I just hate typing!

thanks for your answers!

federico
federicod
Registered Member

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:17 pm
ochurlaud wrote:Open a ticket for it on the bugzilla (if there is not already one).

I can't promess more for now...

there was already an old ticket for it on bugzilla:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=270575